Kabanata 8

Over the weekend, Mumeee and I began preparing for my debut—beginning by listing the people that would make up the programme; eighteen roses, candles, and gifts

Over the weekend, Mumeee and I began preparing for my debut—beginning by listing the people that would make up the programme; eighteen roses, candles, and gifts. I suggested to include eighteen shots as well but she and Dee-dee were both such a killjoy, saying I still could not drink alcohol even if I was legal age already. Anyway, she said that way, they could prepare beforehand and free their schedules.

And that was one thing I admired about Mumeee—her exceptional organization skills. Dee-dee used to tell me and Djordi that she was the best in her craft. That without her helping him in the office, he would not make it to where we were now. That indeed, behind a successful man, there stood a woman. Aniya pa ay dahil daw kay Mumeee kung bakit matagumpay ang kumpanya namin. But also propped to him because he was equally amazing and hardworking.

Na wala man lang akong namana ni isa sa mga katangian nilang dalawa!

Monday came, the first day of the school week, and I was already sulking. E, kasi naman! ‘Yong na-postpone na long quiz namin sa Business Math ay biglang natuloy nang wala man lang pasabi! Kaya heto ako na halos iumpog na ‘yong ulo sa desk dahil paniguradong bagsak ako.

“What important is you did your best, Dal,” pag-aalo ni Ellis sa akin.

“It’s thirty items, Ellis, and three points each! I was only able to answer five! Ni hindi pa nga ako sure kung tama ba ‘yong mga sagot ko,” sabay na simangot at panghahaba ng nguso ko.

He chuckled and patted the top of my head like I was a poor, helpless puppy.

“Come on! What’s done has done. There is always a next time to do better. How about we just eat it out, hmm? My treat,” he proposed, at saka hinila ako sa kamay dahil saktong lunch break na.

While we were walking towards the cafeteria, I suddenly missed Vini nagging me about school stuff. Siya kasi ‘yong tipo na hindi ako bine-baby pagdating sa pag-aaral. Instead, he would motivate me with a barrage of inspirational quotes, pushing me relentlessly until I grasped the material. He was always there to patiently teach me, and his no-nonsense approach to academics proved its effectiveness in my learning journey.

Ugh!

Vini ka naman diyan, Dalilah!

Wala ka nang pakialam sa kaniya, ‘di ba?

As I glanced over Vini sitting solo in what used to be our spot here in the cafeteria, a wave of loneliness and nostalgia washed over me, accompanied by a twinge of guilt. I truly missed him, and I yearned for those cherished moments of us from the past.

Physical Education ang subject namin noong hapon at halos himatayin ako sa kaba noong biglang ipatawag ako sa faculty office noong teacher namin sa Business Math. I was actually excuse in our activity today because of my ankle injury and I was so thankful because I would not have to be in the track field under the very hot weather, pero biglang mas gusto ko na lang na mabilad sa araw kaysa ang ipatawag niya.