Kabanata 22

Just like that, the deal was sealed

Just like that, the deal was sealed. Once more, I attempted to speak with my father’s solicitor, urging him to consult my father first, for he certainly would not allow this to materialize once he learned that it was Vini who was taking over our company. But before I knew it, the said man had already signed all the necessary paperwork like he could not wait any longer, like time was chasing him. And now, he legally had the sixty percent of shares in our company, had the upper hand, the control, the power, the goddamn authority.

I still could not believe the man he had become and he was all I could think of for the rest of the day. Even when Dahlia and I were back home, I stayed awake all night to search about him on the internet, a thing I had deliberately avoided doing for many years. Ewan ko. Natatakot ako na baka isang araw ay makita ko na lang na ikakasal o ‘di kaya ay kasal na silang dalawa ni Kisses. That would surely break me further into pieces and I would rather not know. But our unexpected meeting in the morning had really piqued my interest. Because there was no way that in just a span of six years, he was able to accomplish such big achievements in his life. Unless otherwise, he was also into illegal things and doings.

Baka front niya lang ‘yong pagnenegosyo?

Pero alam mong hindi siya ganoong tao, Dalilah!

Pikit-mata kong pinindot ‘yong enter key sa keyboard. And when I opened my eyes again, the search results left me both breathless and speechless.

Vini Giovanni Herrera was a face of success at the young age of twenty-four, earning him the esteemed title of Forbes Asia’s youngest business mogul. With an impressive academic record, including graduating summa cum laude in Business Management and Economics, he became the driving force behind Herrera JetFuels, the country’s now foremost supplier of petroleum-based products, overtaking the position that our company once held. He had also reshaped the industry landscape with his innovative strategies and relentless pursuit of perfection.

But it was not those things that moved me about him, but to that particular project where he was the founder.

According more to the article I read, his ambitions extended beyond mere business prowess. He was the luminary behind Project Deirdre Wings, Fly High Little Darlings, a scholarship program aimed at empowering underprivileged youth by offering them educational and mentoring opportunities in the aviation industries. At sa kasalukuyan ay dalawang libong estudyante ang pinag-aaral niya. 

May biglang kumurot sa puso ko sa pangalan noong proyekto.

Deirdre?

It was the name I had given our unborn son!

Gumulo iyon sa isipan ko hanggang sa makatulugan ko. Early the next morning, I spoke to my father about the deal. And as I had anticipated, he was just as shocked as I was and could not believe it. But I doubt he had no idea about Vini being a successful man because they were just both in the business world. Baka hindi lang niya sinasabi sa akin?

“What?! How did that sorry excuse of a boy manage to—Goddamnit! Tell me this is not happening!” he exclaimed frustratedly. “Let it be known to the solicitor that the deal is off! Anyone but him!”

“But the deal is already signed and sealed, Dee,” tugon ko, kung saan kitang-kita ko naman ‘yong mabigat na muling paglingon niya sa akin. “I attempted to speak with the solicitor, but he said you carefully instructed him to do whatever it takes just to secure the deal.”

“Fuck!” was all he could utter. However, he had to end the call, telling me that we would just revisit the conversation later because Mumeee was already calling out for him, plus, he did not want her to worry.

Napahilamos ako ng mukha at naiyak matapos ibaba ang tawag. Prior to our conversation about the business deal with Vini, I had a video call with Mumeee, and my heart ached to see how much weight she had lost. Pero sa kabila ng lagay niya ay mas inaalala pa rin niya ako at si Dahlia.

God, what should I do now?

Why did my problems seem to be so endless?

Labag sa loob akong gumayak para pumasok sa opisina. Hindi pa talaga ako handa sa pamamahala ng negosyo namin, lalo’t higit sa lahat ay hinding-hindi magiging handa na makatrabaho ang lalaking ‘yon!

I walked to my closet and chose a summery yellow dress from Dolce and Gabbana, cinched in the waist and accentuated with a brown bow, slightly ruffled cap sleeves, and a hemline that fell about two inches above the knee. Though it seemed short, it was just decent for the office. Meanwhile, I applied just a bit of makeup, let my hair down, and paired the dress with Louboutin heels and an Hermés bag.

“Mommy, you are so pretty!” muling komento ni Dahlia na nanunuod na naman sa akin habang nag-aayos ako.

“Just like you, baby. We are both pretty,” nakangiting sabi ko na nagpanguso naman sa kaniya. “Dahlia, what’s wrong, hmm?”

“But Daddy Ellis thinks I’m ugly,” she said sadly. “Mommy, why is he always angry at me? Doesn’t he love me?”

Tumiim ang bagang ko at walang ibang nais kundi ang kumprontahin si Ellis sa mga pinagsasasabi niya sa anak ko. I hated myself because no matter how hard I tried to protect her, he still managed to hurt my daughter’s feelings.

Damn him!

He was really a psycho!

Pati bata ay pinapatulan!

Nilapitan ko siya at saka niyakap. “You are the most beautiful girl, Dahlia. Do not let Daddy Ellis dishearten you, okay? When Mommy says you are pretty, you are pretty, baby. Only believe Mommy, alright?”

Tumango siya. Hinalikan ko naman siya sa noo at saka kinarga.

“Baby, just behave while Mommy is away, okay? I have to go to work now,” sabi ko kung saan naging mahabang paliwanagan at kumbinsihan muna ang nangyari bago ko siya napapayag na maiwan kina Grandpa at Grandma. Hindi ko kasi siya maaaring isama dahil natatakot akong baka biglang magkita silang dalawa ni Vini.

“Okay, Mommy. I will behave here,” she said with a small nod and a toothy smile.

“I love you, Dahlia,” sabi ko, hinding-hindi magsasawa na banggitin ang mga salitang iyon sa kaniya.

“I love you, too, Mommy,” she replied to me, making my heart to swell every time.

I was sent to the office by Grandpa’s driver by nine o’clock and was greeted by my father’s assistant who would also act as my assistant.

“Good morning, Ms. St. Pierre,” she happily greeted me.

“Good morning,” bati ko pabalik habang pasimpleng tumitingin doon sa office ni Dee-dee. “Ah, is Mr. Herrera already inside?”

“Yes, Ms. St. Pierre. Actually, kanina pa pong alas siete. Kanina ka pa nga po niya hinahanap sa akin,” sagot noong assistant ni Dee-dee na nagpakurap naman sa akin.

Alas siete?

Bakit sobrang aga naman—

I nearly jumped to my feet when Dee-Dee’s office doors suddenly swung open, revealing Vini glaring at me with a dark, irritated expression.

“Ms. St. Pierre, I need a word with you,” he ordered.

My father’s assistant excused herself at me, seemingly scared and did not want to meddle with me and that man standing by the door.

Hindi ko itatanggi na nakasisindak si Vini, pero hindi ako nagpahalata. Instead, with my chin held high and my posture straight, I strode toward him, when he abruptly slammed the door shut.

Ugh!

Could he be any more rude?

Pinihit ko ang door handle at saka pumasok, siya na para na namang isang hari doon sa swivel chair ni Dee-dee. Kung naroroon na siya, saan naman kaya ako mag-oopisina o ‘di kaya ay magmemesa man lang?

What a condescending asshole!

“Take a seat,” he commanded, gesturing to the chair in front of the desk, which grated my nerves on the other hand.

“You seem to have forgotten that this is St. Pierre Industries, our company. If you don’t mind, Mr. Herrera, find yourself your own seat,” I countered, refusing to back down or gave up my spot and seat.

His eyes darkened more and his jaw set tightly as he looked at me from head to feet, then up again and rested his eyes on my legs. Akala ko pa ay napikon ko na siya roon sa sinabi ko. But it seemed that what was pissing him off was my dress.

What now?

“You also must have forgotten that I have the sixty percent of this company, so technically, I own this,” he replied.

“Saan ako pupuwesto kung ganoon?” pagsabog ko.

“Either on the floor or on my lap, you choose,” he said, daring me.

Sa inis ko at kung inaakala niyang mapaglalaruan niya ako, I walked to him to give him the taste of his own medicine. Blinking his eyes at me and with furrowed forehead, he looked up to me.

“What the fuck are you doing?” he said with a panic in his voice.

“I don’t want to sit on the floor so I am sitting on your lap,” sabi ko, at nang akmang uupo na nga ako sa kandungan niya ay biglang gigil na itinulak niya ako palayo.

“Just fucking sit on that chair!” he exclaimed, panting, while pointing his finger at the chair in front of the desk. “I’ll have the utility set up a desk and chair for you here.”

With a smirk, I rolled my eyes at him and took a seat in the chair he indicated. But deep down, I wanted to slap myself for such a bold move.

Ugh!

Ano ba ang naisipan ko at gagawin ko ngang umupo sa kandungan niya?

“What do you want from me?” I asked, had been trying to stay calm but he was pissing me off early in the morning.

“Why are you just arriving now?” pagsusungit niya.

“Wasn’t I just on time, Mr. Herrera?” I replied, earning a frown from him.

“For the record, office hours start at seven in the morning, Ms. St. Pierre. Just because you are the chairman doesn’t mean you can come to the office late. Let’s be clear about that. I detest tardiness. It’s bad for business,” he pointed out. “And if you are expecting a princess treatment here, I’m sorry but you wouldn’t be getting it here.”

“I am not asking for anything more than a professional relationship as business partners. And alright,” I conceded, acknowledging that arriving at nine o’clock was indeed quite late for work. “Expect me to be here at seven tomorrow, Mr. Herrera.”

“Earlier or sharp, no later than seven,” he cleared.

“Fine!” muling pagpayag ko.

“Good. My second concern is your office attire,” he added, prompting me to raise an eyebrow at him.

“And what’s wrong with my clothes?” I asked, could not believe him.

“The skirt is too short. I certainly won’t be able to concentrate on my work. And please wear black stockings for your legs are too fucking sexy and looking creamy, they are distracting me,” aniya pa na nagpatanga naman sa akin.

“Ano?!”

“You heard me loud and clear,” sagot niya.

“You have no say with what I wear, Mr. Herrera. And if you find my clothes distracting to you, then it is not my problem anymore,” I said with a hiss and another eyeroll.

He gritted his teeth, and I could not help but feel another wave of satisfaction knowing I had gotten under his skin.

Damn him!

Asshole!

Vini cleared his throat and changed the topic. “Anyway, I already kicked out all the employees in the finance and human resource department. I will hire another set of employees one of these days.”

“What? Why?”

“Because the root of this company’s problem lies with them. You keep hiring incompetent and easily swayed by money employees,” he replied that made my heart heavy, but for now, I had to put a trust on him because I myself did not know how to solve our problem.

In the next moments, Vini’s professionalism shone through as he meticulously outlined the issues and underlying problems of the company, proving to me why he was at the top of his game, leaving me with no doubt about his expertise in the business world.

“What are you waiting for? Bring those boxes to me,” biglang utos niya sa akin habang itinuturo ‘yong mga malalaking kahon sa gilid.

“You are not serious!” protesta ko.

“Do I appear as a clown to you? And I thought it was already clear that you will not get a princess treatment here?” he responded sharply. “Those are important documents we must meticulously sort through one by one. We need to know the underlying issues plaguing this company’s ability to remain financially viable. I’ve expected more from your father. I’ve once looked up to him when it came to managing business. Turns out, he is only good at chasing your lovers away.”

“What?!”

“Nevermind.”

Napanguso ako at wala nang nagawa pa kundi ang sumunod na lang sa gusto niya. Kaya naman kahit mabigat ‘yong kahon ay buong-lakas kong binuhat at dinala sa kaniya na ang sarap-sarap namang ihagis sa mukha niya. Meanwhile, I could have sworn I saw the side of his lips curled up into an annoying grin.

We spent the entire morning reviewing files. When lunchtime arrived, he ordered a variety of delicious foods and refreshments. I did not refuse because I was really hungry. Nahihilo na nga ako sa kababasa noong mga dokumento sa kahon na hindi pa namin nangangalahati at may lima pa. Ang sabi pa niya ay kailangan daw naming matapos kahit man lang dalawang kahon ngayong araw.

I wanted to ask him if he was serious, pero baka matanong na naman ako pabalik kung clown ba siya at kung mukha ba siyang nagpapatawa.

Hours passed, and to his credit, he proved himself to be a serious and dedicated businessman. And I hated to admit it, but it was a great relief to me that he was the one who bought the shares of the company, as he seemed really concerned not only about the business but also its vision and mission.

While he was busy looking through the files, pasimple akong tumitig sa kaniya. Despite my disdain for the arrogant man he had become, a sense of pride still stirred in my chest. After all, he was Vini Giovanni Herrera—intelligent, with immense potential to achieve greatness, destined for success.

Tumikhim siya na mabilis na nagpaalis ng tingin ko sa kaniya.

“Has the solicitor already explained my stipulations to you?” tanong niya.

“Not yet. But I’ve already talk to my father about this,” pagtatapat ko na nagpataas naman ng gilid ng labi niya sa isang ngisi.

“Oh, Daddy Dearest already knew,” he said, a mock in his tone.

“I know my father has treated you poorly, but why do you hate him so much? Why target our company?”

“This is purely business, Ms. St. Pierre. I saw an opportunity and took it. Unfortunately for him, whether he liked it or not, he knew he had no other choice in this matter. You need my help,” he replied.

Napapikit ako nang mariin at napalunok na lamang nang malalim sa kawalan ng isasagot doon.

“Anyway, about my stipulations. I have two main conditions that I want implemented immediately. First and foremost, the company’s name must be changed. It is my right to name it as I see fit, and this will allow the company to start afresh,” he said, leaving me blinking in surprise.

“But what you are asking for is too much! This is still our company even though you have the larger share!” I immediately protested.

“Oh, relax. I am not suggesting a complete overhaul of the company’s name. I simply want to add my surname. I believe it’s within my rights to do so. Herrera and St. Pierre Industries—doesn’t it sound like a solid company name to you? We’d be the best company out there.”

Once again, all I could manage was to take a deep breath, realizing I had no say in anything now that he was the boss.

“Secondly, I want my foundation to be the primary beneficiary of our company. Five percent of the income will go directly to it,” he continued telling me, and speaking of that, I could not help myself but to ask him. This had been fucking my mind since last night.

“Why Project Deirdre?” diretsahang tanong ko.

He looked away from me and slightly turned away his chair from my full view of him. I thought he would not answer me, pero napuno na lang ng lungkot, sakit, pangungulila, at matinding konsensiya ‘yong dibdib ko sa dahilan niya at tama nga ‘yong hinala ko.

“I named it after our son to honor his memory. I want something that will always keep him close to my heart. After all, he is the reason I have come this far, why I strive for success. He has shaped me into the man I am today. He is my inspiration, my motivation,” he replied.

Suddenly, the air around us went awkward. I cleared my throat and told him it was up to him and I was not against it, tapos ay muling bumalik kami sa ginagawa namin. We were so both into it that I did not realize it was already close to six in the evening.

Oh, my God!

Dahlia was surely looking for me now!

“I have to go,” sabi ko at saka nagmamadaling umangat mula sa pagkakaupo sa silya ko.

“Get back to your seat,” he ordered that stopped me on my tracks.

“What? I have to go home! It is already six in the evening and pass office hours!” katwiran ko.

“I said stay the fuck on your seat,” he repeated.

“No—”

“You should know that restructuring a company this size requires lots of hours and if needed, there will be overtimes. I am doing my best to help you from hitting rock bottom and I expect you to do the same,” matigas na sabi niya.

“But—”

Our daughter was surely looking for me now, you asshole!

Nagtitigan kaming dalawa hanggang sa ako ‘yong unang bumitiw ng tingin.

“Fine! But if you excuse me, I’ll just make a phonecall,” I conceded.

“Oh, is your fiancé waiting for you at home to have dinner? Tell him you won’t make it,” he said, clearly taunting me.

Hindi ko siya sinagot ng mga salita at imbes ay tinalikuran na lamang siya habang minumura siya sa isipan ko.

I called home, and to my surprise, Grandma said that Dahlia had not caused them any trouble and she was well-behaved all day. When they mentioned that I might be coming home late, she simply said it was okay, and I breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing that.

“I’ll give the phone to her,” ani Grandma at ilang sandali lang ay nasa linya na nga ‘yong anak ko.

“Mommy!” Dahlia called out that immediately made me to miss her even more.

“Hi, baby,” sagot ko.

“Mommy, can you bring me Jollibee?” she requested.

I chuckled and said, “Sure, baby.”

“Thank you. I miss you, Mommy,” aniya na nagpangilid naman sa mga luha ko.

“I miss you, too. Ah, I have to put the call down, alright?” paalam ko na bago pa ako maiyak nang tuluyan sa pagka-miss sa kaniya.

“I love you, Mommy,” she said.

“I love you too—”

Natigilan ako at hindi ko na nasambit pa ‘yong pangalan ni Dahlia nang biglang umalingawngaw ‘yong tinig ni Vini.

“Get inside, Ms. St. Pierre!” he ordered like a royal decree, him standing tall by the office doors, his frown revealing his irritation. “Save the flirting for home with your fiancé! We have plenty of work to be done here!”

I hissed and immediately ended the call. Padarag na hinila ko ang mga paa pabalik sa loob ng opisina, ako na walang ibang gusto kundi ang sapakin siya.

Nagpatuloy kami sa ginagawa nang hindi ko siya pinapansin. By seven-thirty, a food delivery arrived. He asked me to eat, but I politely refused because I was looking forward to having Jollibee with Dahlia when I got home. And I could not wait to leave the office! What time was it anyway? And how much longer were we going to stay here?

“Come on, starving yourself just so you can eat dinner with your fiancé is silly and stupid. You can’t leave yet,” he insisted, his continuous insertion of Ellis in this was already starting to annoy me. But I preferred him to think that way. Thankfully, I had not mentioned Dahlia’s name during our phone conversation a while ago for it seemed he was listening closely.

What was wrong with him? At may bukas pa naman! Bakit kailangang mag-overime agad?

Hindi pa rin ako kumain at imbes ay binilisan ang ginagawa para makauwi na kay Dahlia. When nine o’clock striked, I could no longer help it.

“I really need to go home, Mr. Herrera. I promise to work the entire day tomorrow. Please, just let me off the hook now,” I pleaded desperately, to which he responded with a penetrating gaze. “Please?”

Another irritating, cruel grin tugged at the corners of his lips as he said, “You wish. Get back to work, Ms. St. Pierre.”

My shoulders slumped, and with a heavy heart, I texted Grandma, instructing her to tell Dahlia to go to bed and that we would have Jollibee tomorrow instead.

“Stop texting your fiancé and focus on your task at hand!” he scowled at me once again.

“I fucking hate you!” hindi ko na napigilan pang sabi.

“We already have established about that. And I fucking hate you, too,” kibit-balikat niya.

Dumating ang alas diez hanggang sa mag-alas onse at talagang hindi pa rin niya ako pinauuwi. Antok na antok na ako, pagod na pagod ang utak at katawan, at babagsak na talaga ang mga mata.

When he stepped out to take a phone call, I took the opportunity to rest for a bit, but before I knew it, that short nap turned into a deep slumber. The next time I woke up, I was already lying on the large black couch by the side, covered with a coat and a comforter while sunlight was already streaming in through the office’s glass walls.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko at agad na napabangon. Dali-dali kong sinuklay ang buhok, inayos ang damit ko, at saka tumayo na para umalis.

What time was it now?

Why did he not wake me up?

I was busy looking for my Hermés bag when the doors of the bathroom inside suddenly opened, revealing Vini only in his slacks and without anything on top, him seemingly fresh from the bath.