Kabanata 23

I went home to Dahlia that morning after that heated argument with Vini, with my heart heavy and my head filled with so many questions

I went home to Dahlia that morning after that heated argument with Vini, with my heart heavy and my head filled with so many questions. Tulog pa siya noong tabihan ko sa kama, habang ako naman ay muling binalikan ‘yong umaga na dapat ay tatakas kaming dalawa ng daddy niya.

If Vini’s words held truth, had he not betrayed me after all? Was my initial suspicion correct that my father was involved to why he did not show up to me that day? I knew Dee-dee could be ruthless for my sake, but could he really have harmed Vini? His friend’s son? And what about Ellis? How did he know about our plan to elope? What about Vini’s allegations that I sat inside a car, watching my father and Ellis beat him? And those pictures Ellis showed me of him and Kisses together?

God, what really happened that morning? Who was lying, and who was telling me the truth?

While on the way home, I tried to contact my father because these questions could not wait any longer. I felt like I was losing my mind. I needed immediate answers. But of all the times he had to be unavailable, he had chosen this very moment!

“Mommy, you’re home,” Dahlia’s sleepy voice suddenly called out to me, interrupting my train of thought.

“Dahlia, baby, I’m sorry that Mommy did not have Jollibee with me, and I need to go to work again,” sabi ko kahit pa kauuwi ko lamang. Nangako na kasi ako kay Vini na magtatrabaho ng buong araw ngayon at papasok bago mag-alas siete. I actually just went home to take a bath and changed clothes, at kahit pa hindi ko alam kung papaano siya haharapin muli matapos noong pagtatalong nangyari kaninang umaga.

“Already?” malungkot na tugon niya.

I reached for her cheek and gently caressed it with the pad of my thumb finger. “Yes, baby. Mommy needs to work. And I promise you that I will bring Jollibee later.”

Inabot ng maliliit na mga braso niya ang leeg ko at saka hinila ako sa isang yakap. “Okay, Mommy,” she said as she kissed me in the cheek.

I glanced at the wall clock and saw that it was already about nine. I knew I had to get moving, but I decided to spend ten minutes with the love of my life. Bahala nang magalit ulit si Vini sa akin. Dahlia was my top priority above everything and anyone.

Pinugpog ko siya ng halik habang nagkukulitan kaming dalawa.

“Mommy! You’re tickling me!” she chuckled.

“Because I’m a tickling monster!” natatawang sabi ko sabay paulan muli ng halik sa kaniya at pangingiliti sa tagiliran niya.

Ganoon lamang kaming dalawa hanggang sa biglang may sinabi siya na nagpatigil sa akin.

“Even though Daddy Ellis is always angry at me, I still miss him, Mommy. I hope, one day, we will be a one happy family,” aniya.

Bumigat ang dibdib ko at biglang hindi ko mapapatawad ang sarili sa oras na mapatunayan ko na may kinalaman nga sina Dee-dee at Ellis sa nangyari noong araw na ‘yon. Kasi kung totoo ang sinasabi ni Vini, ibig sabihin lang ay ipinagkait ko sa kanilang dalawa ni Dahlia ‘yong isa sanang buo at masayang pamilya.