Kabanata 24

It rained heavily on the next day, and according to the weather news, temperatures in several parts of the country, including our area, dropped to their lowest point of this year, officially marking the start of the rainy season

“Mommy, will you still go to work? It’s raining so hard outside!” tanong ni Dahlia habang magkayakap kaming dalawa at habang pinapanuod ‘yong malakas na buhos ng ulan sa labas mula sa bintana.

Bago siya sinagot ay tumanaw muna ako sa wall clock at nakitang alas sais na ng umaga. I only had one hour to prepare and because I already had vowed to myself and Vini that I would be diligent at work.

“I have to, baby,” sagot ko. “I will left you to Grandpa and Grandma again, okay?”

She pouted her lips and she was just so cute that I could not help but to snatch a quick kiss.

“It’s okay. I love grandpa and grandma’s company, but can you bring me to your work sometimes, Mommy?” she asked.

“Oh, s-sure,” sabi ko na lamang bago pa pagsimulan ito ng tantrums niya kapag tumanggi ako.

“Yey!” tuwang-tuwa na sabi niya.

We cuddled some more, hanggang sa kinailangan ko nang bumangon. Samantala, muli naman siyang nakatulog kung saan kinuha kong pagkakataon para maligo at magbihis. I also took the opportunity that she was asleep to choose what to wear today and before she suggested something lewd outfit to me again. Sa sobrang ayaw ko na ngang isuot muli ‘yong dress kahapon ay itinago ko na ‘yon sa isang kahon. Even though it was Dior, I would never wear that again.

Tulog pa rin si Dahlia noong umalis ako at kung saan muli ko siyang inihabilin kina Grandpa at Grandma. And I could not quite understand why I felt so excited to go to work today despite the heavy rain and biting cold. Perhaps it was because, deep down, I was thrilled at the thought of seeing Vini again.

Hindi ako pinatulog kagabi noong nangyari. It was just funny how a simple kiss on the cheek felt so much better than a kiss on the lips. It really felt like I had been transported back to my youth, to that time of my life that was abruptly taken away from me because I became pregnant at a young age.

The initial excitement faded as five hours had passed since I arrived at the office, and Vini, who was always punctual, was not showing up yet. He was never late. He was known for his professionalism and strict adherence to schedules. According to my assistant, he typically arrived either an hour or forty-five minutes early every day. So, where was he? What could have happened? Perhaps he was caught up in important business meetings? After all, he was a sought-after businessman and his world did not solely revolve around our company. Pero bakit wala man lang pasabi?

Ugh!

Hindi naman niya obligasyon na ipaalam sa ‘yo ‘yong mga ginagawa niya, Dalilah!

I resumed to my work with a downed spirit. After what happened last night, I thought everything was okay between us, at least, when it came to being civil with each other.