Promises, promises, promises...

Maddie's

"So, that's it." Bea said after she announced her departure from the team.

I immediately stood up from my seat and walked outside. All eyes are on me but I need a little bit of space for a while. I need fresh air.

Even before she announced it sa team, alam ko na. She talked about it with me the other day. It was her and the management's decision. Sabay nag-expire ang contracts namin, but she chose not to renew hers.

We were both in this team since its creation. Kami 'yung pioneers ng team, and never did it cross my mind that we'll be like this, that she'll choose another team.

I decided to sit on the hood of my car, looking into the distance. Everything is too much for me right now. Magulo ang isip ko.

"Hey, Mads. Why did you suddenly leave? Is something wrong?" Bea spoke.

So, she followed me nga.

"Nothing naman. Why are you here? You should talk to them." I said, pertaining to our teammates. My teammates pala.

"Ate Den's talking with them." She answered.

Right. Sabay nga pala silang lilipat.

"Oh, okay." I uttered.

I let the silence envelope us for a moment.

"Mads, are we okay?" Bea asked, breaking the silence.

"We are. Bakit naman hindi?"

"You seem so distant kasi since I told you the departure thing." She answered, taking the space beside me.

I took a deep breath. Pucha naman kasi Bea eh.

"Nah. I am just getting myself sanay." I answered, shrugging my shoulders.

"Of what?" she asked cluelessly.

"Of you not being around all the time anymore."

She immediately stood right in front of me.

"What?! Do you hear yourself, Madeleine? Why does it need to be like that?"

I stood in front of her too, matching her.

"Because for almost a decade, Bea, I was with you, you were with me! For fuck's sake, I have known you since I was what, 16, 17? You were a big part of my student-athlete life, we reached our dream of exiting UAAP as champions together! We built this team together, sabay tayo nagsikap, nangarap for this team. We accepted defeats and celebrated victories together. And then what?! Malalaman ko na lang na you're transferring to another team?" I stated whilst holding back my tears.

"Hey, hey, Mads, I need this, okay? Of all the people here, ikaw 'yung nakakaintindi why I am doing this." Bea responded.

"I would've understood it better if sinabi mo ng maaga, pero pucha naman kasi Bea! No one prepared me for this eh. Even you, sabi mo wala kang ibang pipiliin kundi ang team na 'to but what happened?! What's with the sudden change of heart? You never brought this topic up to any of our conversations before, not even once! Tapos bigla na lang may ganito, and you expect me to understand it immediately? Hindi eh. I still can't kasi hindi nga ako hinanda for this."

Bea stepped closer and held my hands.

"Mads, I hope you'll understand."

"I will, Bei. I promise, I will. But let me feel these things muna, let me process everything muna kasi I did hold on too much dun sa duo for life eh, 'yung I am your partner that everyone knows. Pero don't worry, I will do my best to understand you pa rin." I said, finally letting my tears flow.