17 And More

"And the team captain, number seventeen, Maddie Madayag!" the announcer said and it echoed through the whole gymnasium.

Maddie did the high fives to her teammates, not minding the wrong number that was announced.

"Ba't seventeen? Ano 'yun?" Bea asked confusedly.

Hindi na lang sya pinansin ni Maddie kasi nagrereklamo na agad si Beatriz na hindi pa naman nagsisimula ang game, baka makaaffect pa sa game nya mamaya.

As the first six huddled inside the court, tanong pa rin ng tanong si Bea why the announcer got Maddie's number wrong.

"Beatriz, just don't mind it, okay?" Maddie said habang papunta sya sa bench.

"But--" Bea wasn't able to finish what she was about to say kasi tiningnan na sya ni Maddie ng masama.

Bea can do nothing but sigh.

It may sound naive but she really was happy when Maddie decided to change her number to 7 from 17, kasi besides sa birthday nya ang 7, it is also the half of 14. So, yeah, she loves the fact that her girl is wearing the half of her jersey number.

"Fourteen won't be fourteen without seven." She said once.

Every huddle, she whispers to Maddie about how she hates that they got her jersey number wrong. Patago namang hinihigpitan ni Maddie 'yung hawak nya sa kamay ni Bea to assure her that there is nothing she should worry about.

They won their game against Sta. Lucia and they're happy about it.

"Yeesss! Second win, babyyy!!" Ponggay shouted while they're heading to their locker room.

"Yeesss! Buti hindi nabigyan ng yellow card!" Deanna teased, pertaining to Ponggay talking with the first referee earlier in the game.

"Yeah. Nakalimutan nya yata na she's in ChocoMucho uniform, not Ateneo's." Denden said, laughing.

"Sa Ateneo ka captain, Pongs. Buti na lang nahila sya ni ate Den eh." Caitlyn added whilst shaking her head.

"Eh kamusta naman 'yung sinugod nyo 'yung linesman? Akala ko mambubugbog kayo eh. Pati 'tong nasa bench, umabot pa dun sa dulo ng court kakaturo." Mona said, pointing at Maddie who just gave her a cute smile while raising her peace sign.

"Out nga naman kasi 'yun." Denden defended.

"Eh check ball naman daw 'yung violation."

"Whatever." Denden answered, rolling her eyes.

"Kita mo 'to. Sasawayin 'yung mga bata 'pag nakipag-away sa ref pero sya din magsisimula ng kamalditahan later on." Mona said, shaking her head while smiling. She has known Dennise for a long time since they played together in Ateneo when they were in college.

They are purposely doing the banters kasi kung hindi sila mag-iingay, the atmosphere would sure be awkward as hell.

Bea's avoiding Maddie kanina pa after the game, and they sure know the reason.

"Are you still upset about it?" Maddie asked. She sat beside Bea sa bus.

They're now heading back sa hotel where they're staying.

Bea sighed.

"No naman. It just somehow made me sad. I know, it's kinda mababaw na rason but you know naman how happy I was and I still am naman, when you decided to use number seven, diba? Siguro, it just saddened me kasi number seven ka eh, half ka ng fourteen. Other half kita." Bea explained, looking down.

Maddie can't help but to smile at how cute her girl is. She held Bea's hands tightly, making Bea look at her.

"It's not mababaw, okay? I totally understand where you're coming from. And promise, next game natin, I'll make sure to tell the announcer that I am wearing the jersey number seven, I am wearing the half of fourteen. So, smile na for me, baby." Maddie cooed, looking directly at Bea's eyes.

"Do you promise?"

"I promise."

"Thank you, baby." Bea smiled and kissed Maddie's forehead.

"Put your phone down na. Kakatapos pa lang ng game kanina, nagphone ka na agad eh. Mamaya ka na magbasa ng memes." Maddie said, and Bea put her phone in her pocket din naman agad. Maddie then held both of Bea's hands and leaned her head on the latter's shoulder.

"I was trying to distract myself para 'di kita mapansin eh." Beatriz explained.

"Did it work?"

"Obviously, it did not. Makulit ka rin kasi eh, tumabi ka agad sa 'kin."

"As if naman ayaw mo rin, Beatriz. Ikaw nga makalandi sa 'kin, walang pinipiling lugar eh, sa Facebook live man 'yan or sa loob ng court."

"Gusto lang naman kita i-kiss dun sa live eh pero ayaw mo." Bea said, feigning her sadness.

"Nakailang yakap ka kaya. Just like when Zolo had his message for me, you acted like you were kinikilig yet you hugged me tight! Hindi ka naman ganun kiligin eh!"

"Duh. I hugged you to remind you, Miss Madayag that your girlfriend, the real love of your life, the one and only true love that you have, the real deal behind the scenes, was just right beside you that time. Medyo napasobra lang 'yung acting ko kasi it looked like I was his 'girlfriend', but yeah, at least you were reminded."

"Wow, as if I forgot na katabi lang kita noon diba? You were so damn annoying kaya nun, so it was impossible for me to forget that Bea de Leon, my annoying girlfriend, was just right beside me."

"Good. That's good, baby. Keep it up." Bea said, smiling and kissing Maddie's hands that are intertwined with hers.

++++

"Sila ate Jho kalaban natin ngayon, diba?" Deanna asked whilst they're heading papunta sa court.

"Uhuh." Maddie answered.

"Are you ready for the flood of JB content mamaya, ate Mads?"

"Eh, I can't do anything about it naman and I'm used to it. Hello, Deans, since we were in Ateneo, it's always like that 'pag may 'ganap' sila. And they just laugh about it naman. No more, no less nga sabi ni Jho."

"Well, you're not annoyed by it naman ba? Be honest, ate Mads ah."

"Sometimes, it gets to my nerves na rin, but as long as I know the truth, I have nothing to worry about." Maddie said and walked faster, leaving the smiling Deanna Wong behind.

The game already started.

And it's unusual that Maddie's extra touchy with Bea today.

Every huddle, she holds Bea's hand extra tight, as if seeking support from her.

Not everyone knows this but Bea has became one of Maddie's most solid support system. That's why every time when she's in doubt, she prays and reminds herself that she always has this girl, she always has Beatriz with her.

And today, her grip on Bea's hands are extra tight to also remind her that her girlfriend is here, so she should not be maharot to the other players, especially to a certain player from the other team.

They won the game and they're now one of the only two teams that are undefeated.

"Thank you kanina, baby. I know, I was holding your hands so tight na and I'm sorry. I just needed an extra boost." Maddie said, magkatabi na naman sila ngayon sa bus.

"Why are you sorry? It's okay, baby. No need to worry about it. I love it when you hold my hand so tight. Minsan lang mangyari 'yan eh, and I understand naman. You can always hold my hand whenever you need and want to. I got you, remember?" Bea replied, kissing the top of Maddie's head, as the latter is resting her head on Bea's shoulder.

"I'm so thankful for you. Thank you."

"Ssshhh. I'm so thankful din na you're with me. Don't worry about anything. Babalik din si Madzilla. I can feel it. Her comeback is near."

"You think so?"

"I know so. I always believed in you. I am always believing in you. Since day one."

Maddie held Bea's hand tightly.

"I love you, Beatriz."

"I love you too, Madeleine. And we got this. Together. We got this."

------

BD Supremacy.