The Moment I Knew

You should've been there,
Should've burst through the door,
With that 'baby I'm right here' smile,
And it would've felt like,
A million little shining stars had just aligned,
And I would've been so happy.

"Sige na, ate. Enjoy your day naman po." Yumi said.

The team held a party for my birthday.

I just smiled at Yumi and stared back again at the door, waiting for a Madeleine Yrenea to show up and surprise me.

But I've been staring at the door for like almost 1 hour, and wala pa ring Maddie.

This is a team's event. The current team captain should be here, right? But where's Madayag?

She promised me that she'll show up for my birthday today.

Is she planning another surprise for me? Does she want us to have our own moment later? If yes, then, I'd be ecstatic about it. Just thinking of Maddie and I celebrating my birthday makes me so happy na. Celebrating your special day with your special someone is really something, isn't it?

Christmas lights glisten,
I've got my eye on the door,
Just waiting for you to walk in,
But the time is ticking,
People ask me how I've been
As I comb back through my memory,
How you said you'd be here,
You said you'd be here.

2 hours had passed and pagod na yung mata ko kakatutok sa pintuan, hoping that Maddie will magically show up here, take my hand, and bring me to a place where she had prepared her surprise for me. But for heaven's sake, 2 hours na akong nakatunganga pero kahit anino ni Maddie, wala.

"Are you enjoying your party, Beatriz?" Jho asked. She's here 'cause the team invited her. After all, she's still my best friend.

"Yes, I am. Thank you for showing up today ah? I thought, wala ka na talagang plan na tumapak ulit here sa dorm eh." I answered.

"Wow. Grabe ka, beh! I graduated pero hindi ko naman balak kalimutan ang Ateneo noh!" Jho replied.

"I know, Jhow Jhow." I smiled.

"Don't smile kung hindi naman totoo. Hindi abot sa mata eh. I know, umaasa ka na magpapakita sya. But, Bei, enjoy your party. The team held this party for you. Please, enjoy."

"It just hurts that she promised me she'd be here. She broke her promise, Jhow."

"Beh, baka busy lang si Mads. Try to talk to her, okay? Basta, enjoy. This is your day, this event is for you." Jho said before walking away.

"I'd be there, of course. It's your special day, so dapat, nandun talaga ako."

Those were the exact words you said but where are you now, Mads?

And it was like slow motion,
Standing there in my party dress,
In red lipstick,
With no one to impress,
And they're all laughing,
As I'm looking around the room,
But there's one thing missing,
And that was the moment I knew.

Most of the girls are already drunk. Except the rookies, of course.

They're all partying while I stand on the corner, waiting for a certain 5'11 chinita.

The girls are all laughing, enjoying the party they planned for me, while I stand here quietly, looking around, searching for Maddie.

She's still not around.