We Were Both Young

"Ba't hindi mo pa lapitan?" one of Maddie's teammate asked.

Maddie just shook her head.

"She's Bea fucking de Leon. I just can't walk to her and start a conversation like we've known each other for years." Maddie sighed.

"As far as I know, the reason why they came here in Davao is to play and make friends. Isn't that an enough reason for you to talk to her?" Her friend asked again.

"Nah uh. Maybe later, if I man up and change my mind. But now, I can't. I might embarrass myself in front of her." Maddie said while looking at Bea's direction.

"Okay. Whatever floats your boat." Her friend surrendered and ran back to where their teammates are.

St. Pedro Poveda Women's Volleyball Team went to Davao for a friendly match against Davao Christian High School. The first time that Maddie heard the news, she didn't sleep for the whole night thinking about a certain Povedan player that she has been following on Twitter since the first day that her account was created. She was dreading about the thought of meeting her long time crush in person. And now that her crush is just 5 meters away from her, she doesn't know what to do nor to say. Her mind's buffering. She can't process what's happening. She can't believe that few minutes from now, she'll stand in front of Bea fucking de Leon, face to face inside the court because they're both middle blockers.

"I-- I think, I'll just be a substitute." Maddie suggested to their coach.

"What? No, Madeleine.  We should put our best players inside the court as a sign of respect to our opponent. And besides, ayaw ko ring matalo tayo sa home court natin kahit friendly match lang 'to. Poveda isn't an easy team to beat, Mads." Their coach reminded her.

Maddie just nodded. Wala naman na rin siyang magagawa. She's damn nervous. Hindi pa nagsisimula ang laban, but her palms are already sweating.

They heard the whistle.

This is it!

The announcer called the names of each player.

The first six positioned themselves and Maddie found herself in front of the net, face to face with a very serious Bea de Leon.

Maddie took a deep breath. By stalking Bea's twitter account for years, she knows that Bea is dead serious in every game. The girl doesn't usually smile. Very far from the Beatriz outside the court.

The game started and as expected, Bea showed her blocking and quick attack skills, leaving Maddie in awe.

Time out has been called.

"Mads, sa pagkakaalam ko, blocker ka ng team natin, hindi ka poste diyan sa harap ng net. If you're just gonna drool over Bea de Leon, lumusot ka na lang diyan sa ilalim ng net at tabihan mo siya dun sa kabila." one of her teammates teased.

"Oo nga, Madeleine. Hindi ka man lang ba magpapasikat sa crush mo? Mahiya ka naman." her other teammate added.

"Wala na bang ilalakas 'yang mga boses niyo? Why don't you grab the mic from the announcer and just announce that I have this crush on Bea de Leon?" Maddie quipped.

"Would you allow us to do that?"

"Would you allow me to spike your face?" Maddie answered and rolled her eyes.

Their playful banters was cut off when another whistle was heard.

The game resumed. Maddie's team tried their best to defeat the other team, but Bea's not giving them an easy win.

Poveda won, 3 sets to 1.

They did handshakes, and Maddie's heart is beating abnormally after shaking Bea de Leon's hands.