𝟙𝟝

Days drifted by, and I found myself taking refuge in Esther's hut. She provided us with daylight rings after Kol suffered burns from the sun. The village had quickly turned against us as bodies were discovered and fear spread like wildfire. Now, everyone shuttered themselves indoors, well aware that we couldn't enter without an invitation.

Throughout this turbulent time, Mother and I hadn't exchanged a single word. She remained secluded in her hut, perhaps wrestling with her own demons or perhaps out of fear or disappointment. The once warm connection we shared seemed to have retreated into a cold silence,

--------------------------

(Elias POV)

Finn chose to remain at home, tasked by Mikael to assist and look after Rebekah. Unperturbed by his duties and driven by the insatiable hunger within me, I ventured out to hunt. My target soon became apparent: a young man in his mid-30s, alone and unaware of the looming danger.

With a swift, predatory grace, I rushed towards him and sank my fangs into his neck. As his blood flooded my mouth, an unstoppable urge took over. I was acutely aware of his heartbeat, feeling it slow with each draw of blood, but the monstrous craving within me overshadowed any semblance of conscience or restraint. I was consumed by the need to feed.

Eventually, his heart ceased its rhythm, and I dropped his lifeless body. It fell to the ground with a finality.

As the body hit the ground, a sudden, excruciating pain overwhelmed me. My leg snapped, and my back cracked, sending me into a spiral of agony. I screamed as the transformation, more violent and forceful than anything I had previously experienced, took hold of me.

Too consumed by pain and the chaotic transformation, I failed to notice Esther and Mikael closing in around me. Esther began to chant in a powerful, resonating voice, "Phasmatos Siprum, Emnis Abortum, Fasila Quisa Exilum San." Her words were barely audible over my own screams of torment.

"Help me!" I managed to cry out, feeling my teeth painfully elongate into sharp fangs. I tried desperately to reach Esther, to stop her, but an invisible barrier halted my advance. It was then, in that moment of helpless distraction, that Mikael took his chance. He moved with a grim determination, plunging a wooden stake through my heart from behind.

My world erupted in pain, and then everything faded to black, my last conscious thought a mix of betrayal, shock and Finn.

( Third POV)

Mikael and Esther stood over Elias's desiccated body, confusion and frustration evident in their expressions. Mikael's voice broke the silence, loud and demanding, "He's supposed to be dead. Why isn't he dead?" He turned to Esther, seeking answers.

Esther, visibly shaken and uncertain, stuttered in response, "I... I don't know." She then hesitantly added, "You did use the white oak stake, didn't you?" Her voice was tinged with doubt.

Mikael's glare stopped her mid-sentence, his eyes cold and unforgiving. "I didn't make a mistake, woman. Now, what do we do?" he demanded, his patience wearing thin.

After a moment of contemplative silence, Esther responded, "Let's seal him away. I can't be certain if he's truly dead, but we can ensure he's kept hidden. We'll seal him somewhere no one will find his body or remove the stake. It's the safest course of action until we understand more."

And so, they acted on their grim resolution. A few miles from the village, they found an abandoned cave, remote and hidden from the eyes of the unsuspecting. There, in the enveloping darkness, they placed Elias's body, carefully concealing it from the world.