16. Her Highness

The following morning unfolded with a gentle brilliance, casting a warm glow over the surroundings. Steve didn't even budge from his position, afraid of disturbing Natasha's peaceful sleep. Her gentle breathing calmed his tiring nerves, and the weight of her lying on top of him felt like a comforting embrace from heaven.

 As time passed, his heart quickened, and he worried that Natasha might sense the turmoil within him, feelings he considered a form of cowardice. He grappled with the notion that Natasha could never truly be his, their lives intertwined but destined to follow separate paths. The weight of unspoken truths pressed upon him, and the fear of revealing his internal struggle lingered in the air.

The morning unfolded with Natasha stirring from her peaceful sleep, her eyes adjusting to the soft light filtering through the trees. She sat up next to Steve, rubbing her eyes as she woke from the embrace of dreams. As Steve attempted to sit up, a hint of discomfort crossed his features, and Natasha couldn't help but offer him an apologetic smile.

Steve, in a playful tone, teased, "If the prince of Nojareena sees us like this, I would be beheaded, your highness."

 Confusion clouded Natasha's eyes as she questioned, "Which prince?"

 Steve, a hint of disappointment coloring his voice, rolled his eyes, averting his gaze, "Your soon-to-be groom."

The weight of this revelation hung in the air, casting a shadow over the idyllic morning. Natasha's thoughts swirled with a mix of surprise, confusion, and a touch of disappointment. 

The destiny mapped out for her, entwined with political alliances and royal obligations, clashed with the unexpected connection she felt with Steve. The prospect of an arranged marriage to the Prince of Nojareena, in this reality,  weighed heavily on Natasha's shoulders.

Steve stood there, his armor and sword in hand, facing Natasha, who remained seated on the sandy ground. "Let's move towards the kingdom," Steve suggested, his confusion evident as Natasha remained silent, her gaze fixed on the serene river and the lush greenery surrounding them. 

Natasha's mind churned with thoughts, contemplating the implications of her newfound realization. The water curse, the threat of death looming over Steve whenever water was involved, seemed to have lost its grip in this reality. A triumphant realization settled within her, a sense of accomplishment that fueled her daring proposal.

 With a radiant smile, Natasha finally spoke, her words carrying a weight of decision. "Let's not go to the kingdom," she declared, catching Steve off guard.

 His confusion reflected in his eyes as he tried to comprehend her unexpected statement.her voice carrying a resonance that transcended the conventional boundaries of royalty. "Your highness..." 

Steve began, but Natasha interrupted, closing the distance between them. "Call me Natasha," she insisted, her tone carrying a sense of familiarity and intimacy that echoed the unspoken connection between them.

As she stood before him, Natasha continued, her voice filled with determination, "Let's get lost in the huge green forest, forever, on this riverbank." Her words hung in the air, resonating with a longing for freedom, a desire to escape the predetermined paths laid out for them.

A small smile played on Steve's lips as he realized the unspoken connection between them. The realization that his feelings were not a forbidden sin but a genuine emotion warmed his heart. He sighed, breaking the momentary silence, "Princess..."

The word carried a weight that sent a shiver through Natasha. Steve continued, his gaze steady and earnest, "You have a nation to rule." It was a gentle reminder of her responsibilities as a princess, a duty she couldn't easily cast aside.