21. 19 Again

Natasha sat in the dim room, her mind grappling with the profound revelation that she had been Steve's wife in an alternate reality. The shock paralyzed her, and the pieces of the puzzle slowly fell into place, revealing the intricate connection between her younger self and Steve's wife.

The haunting realization struck her — the reason she couldn't hear when Steve mentioned his wife's name, the reason she couldn't catch a glimpse of Steve's wife despite her persistent efforts — was that she was Steve's wife in that alternate reality. The depth of the cosmic connection between them transcended the boundaries of logic and comprehension.

Steve's words echoed in her mind — how he had found the 10-year-old Natasha beautiful, just like his wife. The fear of water, shared between her younger self and Steve's wife, now made perfect sense. They were intertwined, existing in different bodies across the vast expanse of alternate realities.

The weight of the truth pressed against Natasha's chest, and she instinctively covered her mouth, as if to suppress the gasp that sought release. The cosmic dance of fate had bound her to Steve in ways that defied explanation, and once again, she had inadvertently become the catalyst for his tragic demise.

The room seemed to close in on her, the reality of her existence a bewildering maze of interconnected destinies. Natasha grappled with the profound implications of being the cause of Steve's repeated attempts to save her life, each ending in tragedy.

Natasha's heartache echoed in the dim room as she confronted Dr. Strange with the burning question that tormented her soul. She looked down, her eyes reflecting the depths of her despair, and whispered, "Doctor, will I ever be able to save him, in any reality? Can you, with your time stone, show me a future where I succeed in preventing his cruel and tragic fate?"

Dr. Strange, bearing the weight of his mystical knowledge, sighed with a sense of somber responsibility. "If I were to reveal that now, it would alter the course of the future. Your journey, your efforts, must unfold organically. The possibilities are in flux, and your actions will shape them."

Summoning another portal with a silent gesture, Dr. Strange urged Natasha to step into the swirling vortex of uncertain destinies. Natasha, fueled by desperation and determination, rose from her seat. She approached the portal, the ethereal glow illuminating her face as she steeled herself for the unknown.

As she hovered on the threshold of the portal, ready to traverse the fabric of time and space, Dr. Strange's voice interrupted her, adding a layer of complexity to her mission. "Leave your deepest desire," he instructed, his words hanging in the air, laden with cryptic meaning. Before Natasha could seek clarification, the portal whisked her away, engulfing her in the enigmatic currents of the multiverse.

Natasha awoke abruptly, her senses assaulted by a harsh splash of water against her face. Blinking against the sting, she attempted to raise her hands instinctively, only to discover the chilling reality of her predicament – her hands were tightly bound behind her neck. A muffled gasp escaped her lips as she realized her mouth was gagged with rough gauze.

As her eyes adjusted to the dim surroundings, a faint yellow light flickered above, momentarily blinding her. She surveyed her confined space, dread creeping in as she identified the ominous figures encircling her. 

Clad in black gears adorned with a sinister symbol, the agents revealed the dreaded truth – they were Red Room operatives. Natasha found herself trapped once again within the nightmarish confines of the Red Room, ensnared in the clutches of those who had once orchestrated her torment.

The gravity of the situation sank in – she was fated to endure the hellish torture anew. The room, shrouded in darkness and shadowy figures, became a sinister stage for the resumption of her haunting past. Natasha's mind raced with the chilling anticipation of the horrors that awaited her, and a cold sweat dampened her forehead as she braced herself for the agonizing trials she thought she had escaped.