Chapter 12

Jeongyeon's quick, sly goodbye could still be heard in my mind as I stopped the car to give a stop sign at her house stop.  I felt a pang at the mere thought that I could have let her stay a little longer if it weren't for my stupid pride and her vast, boundless shame.  That kind woman was about to get off the car and greet me with a strange and uncertain 'see you', knowing certainly that she will no longer be here after that friendly farewell.  I knew like night and day that after that goodbye she would forget about me.  I barely swallowed when I saw her near the window of my car, signaling her exit.  But the thing is, I didn't want to leave it like that.  I had discreetly snuck the box into the car when she was driving while she wasn't looking but her mind and her eyes were staring out the window at the houses we passed.  I didn't know whether to take it out of my pocket.  I steeled myself and got out of the car before she grabbed the keys from her adorable purse.  "Sana" I said in panic as she lost interest in the keys and showed an expectant smile at the conclusion of my sentence, she must surely be curious about what I had to say.  "Sana, I wanted to tell you something that I've been thinking about since I saw you" I said sincerely placing my hand on my chest and furrowing my eyebrows expressing my sincerity one hundred percent, "Tell me" she said shrugging her shoulders and putting her purse down between her hips with her eyes on me.  I was a fool I couldn't make a statement like that in front of this woman without even trying.  “I…” I whispered in hopes of finishing the sentence but anxiety hit me and I was devastated that I had said something that I certainly wanted, but at the same time didn't want at that moment “I would like to see you again. Can you please come again with me, next weekend? I'll let you try other dishes from another restaurant, it's really nice and understanding you, I sensed that the pleasant and not too noisy atmospheres are to your liking and every Saturday they have an exclusive concert with the cello or the piano and I..." "Tzuyu, calm down, breathe. I will go with you. I like spending time with you, you are kind and funny. The weekend has never been good until now. I will anxiously wait for your car at the same time as today. Now I have to go Tzuyu, it's late I'm a rather precise woman with my sleep hours" she said with her usual smile pressing her hand on my shoulder to calm me down and reassure me.  My cheek warmed as I felt her lips touch my skin.  She gave me one last smile, also having red cheeks but lighter than mine.  She took the keys from her purse and after a brief wave with her hand she left, closing the door.  I slid onto the car door, mentally cursing my fear of that woman's choice.  I loved her madly but I was too cowardly to ask her in person.  I have never had a problem showing reality in the face of others but this type of honesty was different from the others, this expressed my true being.  My heart burned like I would set half my body on fire from both adrenaline and fear.  With heavy gestures, bringing my hand back to my face, dragging it with hatred almost as if I wanted to tear my face off, I opened the door with the other, letting a glimpse of that tall and nauseating apartment once again.  I looked at the third window which was on the fourth floor, thinking and hoping that Sana would look out, but like a hopeless loser I took refuge in the car and went home with a bad taste in my mouth.