Chapter 20

Dinner had gone as well as last time, Sana felt more at ease after talking about simpler or more basic things about daily life.  She let the silence flood into her car bringing a favorable pleasure between them.  Sana loved this type of atmosphere, she felt her preference in those categories that defined her relaxed mode of her.  She felt that this evening couldn't get any better as the car stop ended at Sana's apartment building, which seemed even stranger from that perspective.  It looked rotten and disappointing with that creaking, half-destroyed door and those windows that were meandered by a strong smell of mold and hot water and aquifer.  Tzuyu opened the door for him a little tensely and Sana gave her a reassuring smile, accepting her offered hand discreetly.  "Sana," Tzuyu said, stopping her in her search for the keys and letting the woman wait for the timid and embarrassing sentence that the man made to invite her out of her, "I..." "Do you want to invite me on a date again?"  she asked interrupting Sana by showing her more understandable look than her allowing Tzuyu to relax for a while.  "Yes, but I wanted to ask you something, Sana" he replied, looking at his sweaty hands which were seeking comfort in her palms, "Tell me too" she said to lighten and give content to that restless and worrying silence.  “I…” he said, reaching into his inside jacket pocket, trying not to get the words caught in the lump in her throat or let the little box slip out of her sweaty hands.  Unsure whether to say it or not he looked at his shoes and after taking the box out of her pocket he couldn't help but open it and kneel down elegantly.  He expected a happy face from Sana but from her he got a confused and fearful look, it seemed to him that her heart was falling out of her mouth or out of her panting chest.  "I would like to ask you to marry me Sana. A woman like you must be protected and must not live in such a place. Living with me is the best thing. I will treat you like the most precious person or thing in the world, I will keep you like a rose under a glass bell and no one will be able to touch you or look at you except me. I will protect you and give you anything you want. You will become the world for me and I will become the universe for you. Sana, you will be a queen if you come with me and I you will marry" he concluded, making Sana even more disgusted.  She reached for the keys again but with more speed, "What are you doing?"  Tzuyu asked worriedly as Sana moved in search of her keys although her gaze was on him as if she didn't want to lose him from her sight for fear of something.  "Sana..." he said once again in a whisper seeing that he was opening the door quickly and looking back in fear.  "Sana, don't go away, please," he said, trying to grab her arm to calm her down or keep her close to him a little longer, "Leave me!"  she said fearfully with her hands and legs shaking as she pushed the door with all the strength she had and closed it with the same ability.  Tzuyu tried to reopen it but had no hope.  He flew into a rage and with one colossal push broke the handle of the steel door, letting her scalp turn a little red from her loud bang against the door.  "Sana wait!"  she shouted behind the man having once again the sight of the fleeing woman who, as if she were being followed, makes a murderer move furtively and without stopping towards her staircase.  Tzuyu, being quite tall and fast, reached the same staircase as him as well as the last one so that Sana's apartment was before his eyes, but he grabbed his arm possessively, letting himself be deceived by the woman's fearful look "Sana, let me talk" he tried to be as mature as possible but his hand thought something different, forcing its grip and squeezing the woman's wrist, "You hurt me!"  she said, pushing the man out of her grasp.  Tzuyu lost her balance and unfortunately fell backwards and rolled, causing damage, to the first step of the previous staircase, "Don't come near me, Tzuyu. You're crazy!"  she said with tears in her eyes and her head shaking from the pain in her arm, "Sana! Please, don't leave me like this! I love you. I love you more than anything in the world, more than myself" he shouted with panic as the woman with a tremor in her voice left, opening the door of her apartment.  With the last of her strength and with breathlessness up to her neck, she tried to reach the door of the apartment, but for him it was an enormous undertaking.  The floor was cold and had imprinted itself on his body, unbalancing both his temperature and his balance.  His head was spinning and he only heard the door slam and echo in the stairwell as if it were his new catchphrase.  He crawled on his legs battered from the pain to the door looking for an adequate reason to speak again, "Don't hate me, Sana..." he whispered sadly, "I already hate myself. Don't do it too" he murmured in a thin voice .  His hands began to shake along with his teeth chattering together along with the sobs his dry, pursed lips produced.  Warm drops of water fell from his cheeks together with drops of blood that had dried behind his neck or near his temples and began to fall again together with those harsh and disappointing tears.  He slammed his hand against the door with hatred, as if that slap should be against him.  He gave a soft sob and then narrowed his eyes miserably.  It was the first time in a million years that he found himself crying again, the nostalgic fear of sobs and the tremors produced by the cold and shaken hands from the situation had an effect on her and reminded her of the old times as a child when she cried.  She slammed her hand once more giving a deep sob and a desperate moan, "Sana, please. Open up to me" she whispered with fear and disappointment as desperation flooded her being, "Please Sana, I love you with all my heart , my soul. You can't hurt me like that" he whispered once again regretting his own words, "I just wanted to keep you pure from this misfortune and what bad-hearted people produce. I only wanted the best for you... This what people do when they love each other" he concluded at the end, maintaining a conscientious silence knowing that the woman would never answer him, now or never.  Bringing his feet up to the stairs he looked at the door once again and emitted a strange sound, a kind of moan of pain and repentance as his last heartbreaking sob came out of his soul.  Sana was not stupid and she was not insensitive, she herself cried for him, watching him from the eyelet of the apartment door as the lonely, crying man went down the stairs with pain and regret.  Sana collapsed behind the door putting her hands on her face and continuing her session of crying and moaning and about how she had been a completely unfair person towards the man in love with her.  The woman remained there all night like the man who dedicated his evening to crying in the car until dawn touched her eyes, red and stinging from that feeling not understood and not accepted by the woman who was now guiltily waiting for the courage to get up and no longer think about the man who stole her heart.