Chapter 13

Classes were almost about to begin.  The children and parents stood outside waiting for the bell to ring while I waited for this day to end faster than other times.  I had had a conversation with the parents of the children who had tried to escape and the stupid and casual response of one of the children's fathers left me so speechless that I had replied without even thinking "And what do you do in class? You can't. not even watching children?"  this was the sentence of the father who immediately remained speechless when I angrily told him bluntly "And what do you do at home? Can't you educate your son?".  Chaeyoung told me at the end of the interview that I had exaggerated and that my response had been irrational and that I should just keep my head down and pretend nothing had happened.  It was for this reason that I felt so frustrated these days.  Since the last time I spoke to Tzuyu everything was fine.  She had made me feel good and promised me another dinner at a restaurant of her choice, but after that news my eyes popped out of their sockets: those children have always been devils.  Of course some are saved, but others I would prefer to throw into a ravine.  I was waiting in the staff room for the bell to ring while I finished drinking my morning coffee to gain strength for this bad day.  The worst thing about Wednesday was that the class in first period was the fifth class and this meant having to deal with the nastiest children and infernal little devils of all the classes.  There were three fifth grade classes but the one I was in this morning was class A, the worst of the bad.  In fact, as soon as Jihyo saw me on the chair snorting over the glass of coffee she immediately understood that today was Wednesday "You know I think that each of us has a day that screams: no! And yours is Wednesday" she said pushing her hair back shaking it with speed, while I looked at her with a bewildered frown in her very confused sentence "My worst day is Thursday. There's something strange about it, and the postman always delivers my mail in the wrong box, causing it to get soaked in the neighbor's house who doesn't does he ever clean it," she said suddenly, nervously remembering her postman.  "How disgusting. Your neighbor is really a messy and dirty man" I said with disgust.  I remembered the last time I went to Jihyo's house for dinner, that neighbor had bins upon bins near the fence that adjoined Jihyo's.  There were thousands of flies and insects making noise and fluttering on the neighbor's broken bins and jars.  Jihyo once told me that he saw him out in the garden and found him in his underwear and with Jesus-style sandals on her feet.  It was strange that such a person lived in a neighborhood like the one Jihyo lived in.  There were many families and several young couples who were recently moving in or newlyweds.  "In addition to that postman, I also have to report my neighbor," she said, pushing her feet under the table, stretching her arms with pleasure as well.  “What do you have in class this morning?”  I asked to change the subject knowing that if I didn't change it soon she would fill my mind with her neighborhood and how much the flies that infiltrated her garden and her house made me vomit.  "I have third grade. I have to get on with the program or those children will fall behind, even if every time I want to explain they never listen to me" Jihyo muttered annoyed at the mere thought of having that class in first period.  "Hope for me that nothing happens to me in that class.." I said hearing the sound of the bell ringing in the school.  I stood up and took my brown schoolbag from the table, I gave a short nod as I sprinted towards my classroom knowing that those children would occupy and mess up the classroom before they put their backpacks on the desk.

"Boredom!"  the child in the front row shouted, raising his hands as if he were making a strange wave, then throwing his hands on the desk with hatred, producing a rather annoying noise, "Lower your tone" said Sana, placing her glasses on the desk and glancing at the child who continued to make noises on the desk by clapping their hands on it.  "Boredom...Boredom...Boredom..." she whispered several times making the two children next to him laugh.  They tried to hide their smile but it was impossible for them to do so.  "Ha-eun! If you don't stop I'll put a provision on your card" "Okay. Put it next to the last one" the child said casually, folding his arms behind his head calmly.  "Brat..." Sana murmured without being heard by the children who were cackling at Ha-eun's joke.  "Instead of laughing, why don't you do exercises three and four in class now. So we can correct them to see if you have understood the lesson" Sana said, stunning the children who snorted with hatred and mortification at Sana's request.  "He was happier on Monday, teacher. Why isn't he happier today" said the same child, giving a strange angry frown from the teacher, "These are not things that interest you Ha-eun, do the exercises. You will be the first to correct them " she concluded by placing a cross on the marked exercises and waiting for the children to start doing them, but she received a protest from the students "Ah, teacher! Why aren't you happy today too and you let us get married again. We're tired" said this time a another child who was at the back of the class, "Because you have to study. Move" Sana replied firmly, letting a good part of them start doing the exercises.  Six others did not want to be submissive to the teacher's order and, trying to flatter her and waste time, they always asked her the same thing, "Are you dating anyone, teacher?"  after that question the faces of everyone present raised to stare at Sana who gave a perplexed look at the same question.  "These are not questions that are intended to delimit my scholastic scope. If you want to know the school topics I will explain them to you, but these things are personal and I cannot guarantee that if you don't stop I will call the principal for all of you, including the innocent ones" he concluded she with a determined look.  But just when she was about to give my statement firmly, the door knocked frantically having in sight the so-called principal who like soldiers in her presence the students stood up with respect.  Sana was still perplexed that she didn't even get up, "Sana! There's a man outside who wants her. He says he wants her immediately" she raised her voice quickly as Sana slowly got up from the chair "How... how do you who loves?"  she asked, "Chou, Chou Tzuyu. The rich guy from Korea," she said, emphasizing her concern at never having had such an unexpected visit from a man of such importance, "And why is he here!"  she said, poking her eyes out of their sockets.  The children laughed at the sudden diversion from doing their homework, "When I come I want to see the exercises done!"  she announced before she walked out of class with the principal's grip on her arm.  A loud cry of pressure and anger was heard from the students, while the footsteps went quickly towards the garden where a group of teachers who were on free time were watching the scene with curiosity and confusion.