XXXVIII

"Jayden?" My voice echoes into the empty room.

"Baby," a soft, confused voice echoes through the pipes of the darkened concrete basement.
"Come here, mama."

"Jayden," I whimper as I try to run towards the voice but tiny hands grab my hand and drag me back.

"Mommy," the distorted voice of a little girl sounds right behind me.

I whip around and I am met with the same little girl with the big curly afro from my dream before.
I can vaguely see that she is jumping up and down and shaking her head 'no'.

"Lino, sthandwa saMama [Lino, mommy's love]," I exhale slowly as I kneel to her level and scoop her into my arms.

She turns colder and colder the longer I hold her, and before long she feels like ice.

I pull away to look at her and I find cold lifeless eyes staring back at me.
A shrill scream departs from my lips as the little girl falls limp in my arms, her body pale and cold.

"Jayden," I shriek as I stand up with her body and begin to run towards where I heard his voice before.

"Patience, baby," he chuckles in an almost malevolent way as his voice draws closer.

It is so dark it feels like I'm running with my eyes closed shut, with a blindfold over them. The body in my arms feels like a sand sculpture, slowly deteriorating in my arms.

"Jay," I scream helplessly.
"Lino's gone!"

"Come to me, mama,"  he purrs as I vaguely hear the babbling of a baby in the distance.
"Our little one needs her mommy."

"Wh-what," I stammer as I stumble but quickly regain balance as I slow to a stop, Lino's body completely gone.

"Hold the baby," his voice sounds right in front of me as I feel a tiny wiggling body being placed gently in my arms.

"Baby," I cry as I hold the gurgling baby in my arms, trying to see Jayden in front of me.
"Tell me where you are."

"I'll be back, okay," he murmurs and I feel his lips on my cheek.

My arm automatically reaches out to touch him, but he's already gone and the world morphs into an expansive meadow. The sun gleams above and the sky is clear and a beautiful blue.
The baby in my arms starts making gurgling noises and they reach out to my face.

I hold them closer and cry quietly as I kiss their cheeks gently.

"Nandi," a feminine voice calls out from... somewhere.

"Hello," I ask into the expanse of the open air.

"Nandipha," the voice urges.

"I'm here," I call out, trying to sooth the baby that starts to cry in my arms.

"Vuka Nandipha [Wake up Nandipha]." The voice -alongside a gentle shaking- jolts me awake.

I groan and attempt to shield my eyes from the light coming through the curtains.

"It's about time," the voice from before chuckles. A voice that sounds very familiar sounds right beside me.

I scan the room and I see that I seem to be in a bedroom. A very high end bedroom that looks like the one I usually sleep in, in my parents' penthouse.