XXXIX

"What do you mean pregnant," Lethu whisper-yells from beside me, sitting on the floor, before her own set of art supplies and her canvas. She glances over her shoulder as if to make sure our mother doesn't hear.

It's a good thing she already knows.

"With child, I believe the people of old would say," I muse as I use a sponge to dab grey clouds onto my painting.

"I know what pregnant means," she scoffs as she turns fully towards me.
"I'm just- wow. You're still my baby sister. I can't believe you're already becoming a mom."

"Nami angikholwa[I can't believe it either]," I chuckle quietly as I quickly glance at her, and then back at my painting.
"If it's meant to be it will be, I guess."

"Nana, you're twenty four," she exhales.
"You're way too young to be taking a whole child on, and marriage. There's no rush."

"Akukho okujahiwe[Nothing is rushed]," I sigh as I halt and turn towards her.
"It doesn't feel rushed either, if that's what you're worried about. I love Jayden and I love this little human and I'm sure about this."

She looks at me for a long moment, trying to figure out what to say and what's appropriate to say given my past miscarriage. Another bomb I dropped on her today.

The battle between empathy and reality is all I can see on her face as she reaches for my hands.

"Okay," she sighs.
"But I want you to know that I'm here to hear your troubles. Ngisawusisi wakho omdala, Nana [I'm still your big sister, Nana], I'm here for you."

"Ngiyazi[I know]," I smile warmly as I look at her for a moment longer.
"Dankie Leths[Thanks, Leths]."

"Awudingi ukungibonga[You don't need to thank me]," she smiles as she reaches a hand up to caress my shoulder.
"Sizobuye siziqede lezi zinto[We'll finish these things later], we need to wash out your deep conditioner now."

I chuckle quietly as I reach my hand to touch my plastic-clad head.
"Yazi sengikhohlwe nya yileyonto [You know, I've completely forgotten about that]," I murmur as I stand up and stretch with a small groan.

"Pregnancy brain, already," she chuckles as she walks into the hallway towards her bedroom.

"The cravings are also starting to get out of hand," I sigh as I follow her into her ensuite bathroom.
"I ate apricot jam on boerewors this morning."

"That just sounds... Interesting," she chuckles quietly.

"I'm glad I'm not boring then," I snicker back.

She smiles as she pulls a stool out for me and gestures for me to sit.
I oblige and allow her to lower me until she can wash my hair properly.

My eyes close automatically as she begins to wash my hair with warm water.
The sounds of the water, her gentle breathing and the soft Sunday soul music my mother is playing from my father's office, all of it gives me a false sense of serenity for a bit.

Then Jayden's smile fills my mind and I swear I even feel his fingertips softly grazing my cheek.

"Hi baby," he whispers as he sends me a small sad smile.

I don't even notice that I have, yet again, started to become emotional. My only clue is Lethu's sudden slow down to a halt on my scalp massage.

She sighs.

"Tell me what's wrong, Nana," she murmurs quietly as she starts to delicately massage the product out of my scalp again.
"I can see it, something is wrong."