Chapter 18

The little white duck quietly waddled closer to the open door. He quacked nervously as he moved. He had seen Tubbo and Ranboo run into this room, and being the concerned friend he was, he followed them. His anxiety only increased when he heard pain-filled screaming coming from the room. He peeked into the room, quacking nervously.

    His black, beady eyes widened when he saw Tommy screaming in pain as something moved under his skin. The duck let out a quack that sounded like a scream once he saw the scene unfold in front of his eyes. He saw Ranboo, Tubbo, and Purpled frantically trying to comfort the screaming boy as he quacked frantically. He started hopping quickly and anxiously, preparing to go in and comfort him. It was so loud...

    He prepared to step in, but darkness suddenly enveloped him. "Shh... It is alright." A soft voice whispered to him as he felt himself start floating. He quacked nervously and anxiously as he felt himself move. The soft voice hummed. "Yes, it's me." The voice said as they moved with him in the air. The duck quacked again, trembling as he was slowly lowered onto a soft mattress.

    The voice fell silent as his vision cleared. "I... I do not know what was happening." The voice mumbled, slightly shaky as the duck quacked anxiously and waddled into the warm blanket. He recognized the warm blanket instantly; it was Tubbo's blanket. He felt someone move down next to him and looked over, realizing who the voice belonged to.

    Clementine... The mythical axe that Tommy had brought home one random day. Him and Clementine had become good friends over time and he ruffled his feathers in agitation. Clementine turned towards him, rubbing against him gently. They had shrunk down to his size and tried to comfort the trembling duck.

    "It will be alright, okay? Everything is fine... Do not worry..." Clementine mumbled, increasing their temperature ever so slightly, becoming as warm as their surroundings, trying to be as comfortable for their duck friend as possible. The duck quacked again, trembling as he nuzzled his head against Clementine's blade.

    The blade trembled slightly, it was barely noticeable, but it was there. The duck looked up at Clementine with a hesitant quack. Clementine sighed. "I can not hide anything from you, can I..? Yes, you are correct. I am also worried..." They mumbled, their voice cracking slightly. The duck's beady eyes softened as he quacked gently, spreading his tiny wing and wrapping it around their handle in a tender hug. Clementine jolted slightly at the touch, but slowly relaxed. The duck quacked firmly and Clementine laughed shakily.

    "I know, I know. I am being a bit of a hypocrite, huh? Yes, everything will be alright..." They mumbled, but the duck, sensing the uncertainty in their friend's voice, quacked again, this time butting his head against Clementine's blade. He ruffled his feathers and looked at the mythical axe with agitation. Clementine sighed.

    "I-I am trying, I promise! I-I-I just-" Clementine said, their voice starting to break as they trembled. The duck, sensing the shift in his friend's voice, immediately sat down next to them, leaning against them. He quacked softly, nuzzling his head against the trembling handle. Clementine trembled as they stopped floating and sank into the warm blanket.

    They continued trembling as the duck looked at them with worry. The next time they spoke, their voice was shaking. "I- Tommy, he- He is n-not only my owner, he i-is my friend- I do not w-want anything to-" They said, their voice wavering as they fell silent and the duck frowned as he pressed against his friend. He quacked softly.

    "Y-You get it, d-don't you?" They said shakily and the duck nodded, quacking again. Clementine grew slightly warmer. "T-Thank you, Benson." Clementine managed to get out and Benson quacked again, this time it was lighter. Clementine laughed shakily. They leaned against Benson, and Benson quacked happily as he leaned against them.

    "It will be alright." Clementine said firmly, trying to reassure both themself and Benson. Benson nodded with determination filling his beady eyes. Clementine noticed and laughed slightly. The two then fell silent, enjoying each other's presence.

The next time Clementine turned their focus back to Benson, he had fallen asleep.