Chapter 22

Wilbur's voice dripped with venom. Dad looked at him with wide eyes and slowly pulled his hand back. "Wi-" Dad started but quickly shut up after Wilbur glared at him again. Dad stepped back and walked backwards, not taking his eyes off Wilbur. As he passed by me, he gently nudged me. "For the love of God, talk some sense into your brother." He muttered and I just nodded.

    He walked out and Wilbur looked at him a while longer, then went back to washing the dishes. I gulped nervously as I walked forward, pulling the knife out of the wall as I walked to Wilbur. I glanced at him, then looked at the wall. "Hey, Wilbur," I said and Wilbur smiled cheerfully at me. "Hey, Techno!" He said and I froze. Wasn't he plotting to murder Dad a second ago?

    I sighed, then handed him the knife. He smiled as he took it. "Thanks." He said, lathering it with soap again and I nodded. "No problem," I said and looked down at Fundy. I looked down at his hands and frowned slightly. I was about to reach down to grab Fundy's wrist when I remembered what Wilbur did to Dad. I froze. Then I quickly came to a decision and decided I should see if Wilbur let me touch Fundy.

    I reached my hand down and grabbed Fundy's wrist, looking at his fingers. I glanced at Wilbur to see he was still washing the dishes. He wasn't even looking at me. I paused, then knelt down to get a better look at Fundy's fingers. I glanced back up at Wilbur. "Hey Will, when's the last time you cut Fundy's nails?" I asked as I tilted his hand slightly. His hands were bruised, as if someone had tried hitting his fingers with something heavy. I grit my teeth, realizing exactly who it was. Wilbur paused.

    "I'm not sure. Why, are they getting long again?" He asked and I nodded. "Yeah. There's dirt under his nails, you need to tell him to be careful when he's out playing." I replied, then froze. What was I saying? I didn't even think, I just said the first thought that came to my mind. I chewed the inside of my cheek nervously. Wilbur clearly wasn't okay, and I didn't even know what to do, maybe feeding into his fantasy would help? Then I could subtly drop hints that Fundy wasn't... Maybe it would work. I sighed. God, I'm not good at therapy stuff at all. That's more of Mum's thing.

    Wilbur, however, laughed. "Well, boys will be boys. You know boys don't care about being clean sometimes." He said with a smile and I scoffed. "I was never dirty." I pointed out and Wilbur laughed. "Oh really? What about after training? I remember you used to have dirt stains on your clothes." He said and I scoffed. "I washed my clothes after, Wilbur," I said and he just laughed.

    Between me and Wilbur, I was the cleaner one. He used to play outside and come back with sticks and twigs somehow stuck in his hair. I, on the other hand, kept my hair clean and kept dirt stains to a minimum. Wilbur rolled his eyes as he dried the dishes. "You look more like a girl than a boy, Techno." He teased and I raised an eyebrow.

    "Oh really? What, just because I have long hair? You're just jealous my hair looks better than yours." I fired back and he scoffed. "Please, as if I'd ever be jealous of your hair." Wilbur scoffed as he put the dishes away. I smiled slightly as I rolled my eyes. Just like old times. Maybe I could igno- "You know what, let's settle this. Fundy, who do you think has better hair?" Wilbur asked Fundy. I froze.

Nevermind.