Chapter 20

I slowly woke up, rubbing my eyes as I groaned. When I looked to my side, Kristin was already wide awake and sitting up in our bed. I frowned. "Kristin?" I mumbled, blinking wearily to try to make my vision focus. She jumped slightly and looked at me.

    "Phil?" She asked and I nodded, pushing myself up into a sitting position. She looked at me a while longer, then looked down at her folded hands. "Phil, I can't..." She started and I looked at her, my vision finally focusing as I became alert. "What is it?" I asked gently, debating if I should try to hold her hand or not. She looked at me. "Phil, I can't find Fundy." She said. I froze.

    "Kristin, what do you mean..?" I asked in a whisper, my eyes widening as I realized what it meant. Tears pricked her eyes as she ran a hand through her long hair. "I-I- When I fell asleep, I was met with some souls. I directed them towards their rightful places, but none of them were Fundy. I checked Paradise. He wasn't there. I checked Hell. He wasn't there." She stammered, her voice breaking as I immediately grabbed her hand to try to provide any comfort I could. "S-So that means..." I mumbled, trying to piece it together. She nodded.

"Fundy's soul was sent to Limbo."

&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&

    After looking at me one more time, Wilbur nodded and sat back next down to Fundy. I sighed and closed my eyes. Fundy's body... weirdly didn't smell like a rotting corpse. I frowned, sniffing the air again. Yeah, he didn't smell like a corpse at all. Instead, he smelled like shampoo and the outdoors..?

    I opened my eyes and glanced at Wilbur, who was laughing and talking with Fundy. I looked back down at the dark liquid, still trying to process what was going on. "Fundy, finish all your food." Wilbur chided, pulling me out of my train of thought. I chewed on my cheek nervously as I thought. Wilbur was definitely hallucinating, that was for sure. But maybe, it wouldn't hurt to pretend Fundy was alive..? I closed my eyes. Dear God, what am I even thinking at this point?

    Just then, Dad walked into the kitchen. I sighed and turned around to face him. He was, predictably, staring at Wilbur and Fundy with wide eyes and an open mouth. He looked at Wilbur and Fundy, then at me, then back at them, then at me. I sighed, not knowing how to even begin to explain to him. Wilbur smiled cheerfully and greeted him.

   "Hello, Dad!" He chirped. Dad stared at him. "Wilbur, what the hell." Dad managed to get out, making Wilbur frown as he turned to face him, putting the fork he was using to "feed" Fundy down. "What?" He asked and Dad continued staring. I quickly noticed that Dad was going to say something he shouldn't say and immediately put my coffee down and dragged him outside of the kitchen. Wilbur looked at us in concern, then shrugged and went back to feeding Fundy. I looked at Dad. "Dad-" I began but he cut me off. "What on earth is Wilbur doing?! Has he lost his mind?!" He said and I quickly tried to get him to quiet down, hoping Wilbur didn't hear his outburst.

"I-I don't know."