Chapter XX. - The Palisman

A huge explosion shook the whole house.

"They found us, Marisol! Quick, get Amelia!"

Marisol quickly picked up the sleeping baby, who immediately felt her mother's arms around her. Amelia opened her eyes and saw her mother, who had a very troubled look on her face. Little Amelia didn't understand what was going on here, she just enjoyed her mother holding her in her arms. Suddenly, a familiar male voice spoke from behind her.

"We have to get to the coastline! Alph will be waiting for us there!"

Marisol nodded and Amelia closed her eyes and fell asleep. When she opened her eyes again, a cold wind hit her face. Amelia peeked out of her mother's arms, but she didn't really know where she was. Everything was so dark and damp. She really didn't like that. Amelia cried.

"Shh." Marisol shushed Amelia. "It will be alright, Amelia. I'm here."

As soon as Amelia heard her mother's voice, she immediately calmed down.

"We need to hurry!" Amelia was unfamiliar with this rough male voice. "They'll be here soon!"

Marisol was about to climb into the boat with Amelia in her arms when she suddenly stopped and turned towards the shore.

"What are you waiting for Daviel?! We need to go!"

"I'm not going with you." came the answer from Daviel.

"What?" There was fear in Marisol's voice.

"This will never end." said Daviel. "They will always chase us. But I will end this here and now. They only want me. You can escape."

"Daviel, please don't do this to me... with us." Marisol was completely in despair. "I need you, and so does Amelia."

"I'm sorry, my love, but there's no other way. That's the only way I can keep you safe."

Daviel approached Marisol and gave her a kiss. Tears began to flow from both adults' eyes. When Daviel's lips parted from his wife, he took Amelia in. As soon as the two pairs of pink eyes met, Amelia smiled cheerfully at the man, her dad.

"I'm sorry that I can't be by your side Amelia and I can't see you grow up." Daviel gently held Amelia close. "I hope you will forgive me one day. Be good and listen to your mother. I love you."

With that, Daviel handed Amelia back to Marisol and then turned to the side.

"Thank you Alp for doing this. You don't know how grateful I am for that."

"That's just what friends do. And don't worry, I'll do everything in my power to keep Marisol and Amelia safe."

Daviel opened his mouth to speak, but then screams were heard nearby.

"Oitanimoba Mulucatnet!" said Daviel suddenly, and a mud-like tentacle emerged from the ground, which grabbed Marisol and put her in the boat with Amelia. And the boat slowly set off along the sea. Amelia looked out of her mother's arms and saw her father's smiling face. A few tears ran down Amelia's face and she reached out to touch her dad, but then a blue flash covered the whole place...

***

Celeste suddenly opened her eyes and noticed that she was grasping the air with one hand. The witch girl looked at her hands, sighed and wiped the tears from her eyes.

Rubbing her head, Celeste sat up as she recalled her dream, her only memory of her father.

The witch often dreamed this and although the dream itself was not something joyful, and she always woke up crying and raising her hands in the air, she could at least see her father. Her father, whom she had no picture of and barely knew anything about. Unfortunately, her mother rarely talked about him and always said that Daviel Bright was a great witch and loved his family more than anyone else. However, her mother refused to say more than that. She didn't even reveal who exactly was chasing him. She didn't even ask her stepfather, Alphonse, because she knew very well that he wouldn't say anything anyway.