Chapter 35: Back to Her Side

Wings by Birdy is the theme song of this chapter.

Happy reading! x

Harry

They say we meet people because somehow, some way, we are connected to them. A friend of a friend, a long lost loved one, a childhood neighbour, your family's old acquaintance, or even your future enemy.

Right now, I don't feel like I'm attached to anyone.

Everything was amplified. My own footsteps echoing upon the walls of the corridor; the ticking of the clock by the wall; my heavy breathing, and the fast beat of my heart.

It was as if my father is making this a whole lot harder for me. Like he created this deep space, cutting me away from everyone.

Cutting me away from her.

"Don't go to your father's office."

"Why would I go where the devil is?"

In case my eyes are burning with anger, I dare not look at my mother as I walk past her.

"Harry."

Stopping on my tracks, I took a deep breath before turning around to face my mother.

"What?" I try not to sound agitated as I ask her.

"Where are you going?"

I wanna tell her that I myself don't have any idea where I was headed either.

My mother lets out a bitter laugh. "Don't tell me you're about to drive off to some bar and get drunk again just like you did on your wedding day?"

"Uh, no?" I said, although it sounded more like a question. "Although that sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion!" I gave her the biggest fake smile I could ever give.

"Harry." My mother calls out again this time her tone was warning.

I stop, not daring to look at her.

"Why don't you give her a chance? Who knows. Maybe she will change. Time will tell!"

I roll my eyes because that is just absolutely absurd.

"Bree is like a sister to me." If she hadn't started acted like a brat that is. "So could you stop shoving this marriage down my throat? Because i-it's not right. I-It's gross!"

Without waiting for another word from my dear mother, I turn around to leave. But only to find my path blocked by Bree.

"Hello my dear groom."

~

"If this is all about that fucking marriage-"

"You know me too well, Harry." Bree chortles a low laugh, cutting across me. She rounds the desk and takes her seat while I am left to stand by the door. She then pushes a tape recorder on top of the table. It slides its way to me until it reached the edge of the desk and I caught it just before it hits the floor.

"What's this rubbish?"

Bree throws her head back and laughs. "You push the button with a triangular icon, that's how it works." She cooed like she's talking to a baby.

"I'm not a bloody idiot. What is this for?"

"My god Harry! Just play the damn thing!" Bree throws her hands up in the air like a rag doll and stood up. "Listen to it when you're alone. If ever you do otherwise, you might kill somebody." She warns me with a playful intonation. She then disappears out into the door to who knows where.