Chapter 26: Ephemeral

Play 'Under the Stars' by John Legend y'all! :)

Harry

Here we go again. I thought to myself as I push myself off from the ground.

Something seemed to caught Hollie's attention, making her forget about me and leave without any warning.

The sirimiri of rain stops the moment I step on the gravel walk back to the house. Yes, it stopped right when I'm about to get back inside and the main reason why I was at my favorite place has disappeared again.

Why does it feel as if even the weather is against my agenda? Can't I peacefully spend more than just an hour with her?

Before I could enter the double doors that leads inside our house, someone blocks my way.

"Aoi!" I say, startled by her sudden appearance.

"Sir, I need to talk to you." Her eyes were pleading but something snapped inside me as I remember what she did to Hollie. She and Gabriel are the reason why Hollie was taken over by random spirits not only once, but for so many times, rendering Hollie weak.

"You dare talk to me? I know what you did, Aoi. So step aside before I forget that you are a woman." I almost shout at her but I contain myself.

"I'm sorry. I-" Aoi begins and I am not that much of a stone-hearted person, so I stop and let her say whatever it is she wants to say.

"I know what I did was unforgivable. But I just want to warn her."

At these words, I focus my whole attention to her. "What do you mean warn her? Why should you warn her? Tell me." I say the last part with such commanding force that Aoi takes a step back.

"I-I went to this lady. She's very known even amongst the wealthy people. She practices supernatural powers and knows all about dark magic-"

"Cut to the chase! You're just wearing my patience thin." I say through gritted teeth.

"I ask for her help. I ask if she could help me talk to... to Mariko." Aoi faces the floor as she mentions her sister, clearly ashamed of what she's telling me.

"And?"

"And then she tells me that I already met someone who could help. She tells me that there's someone I know who's already dipping her feet into death while still alive. I didn't understand at first but then I remembered when-" She stops and continues in a panic state. "I only had this idea because of Hollie. Because I was there when-"

"When what?" I waited as she hesitates. "What you're saying is pointless if you keep on doing these pauses." I egged.

"When you were in your office and Hollie came in. She said that she was your sister but you didn't believe her. Then something happened."

It all dawned to me whereof she's talking about.

"You were there?"

"I didn't mean to eavesdrop on you. I just... I don't know. Something drag me back to your room and then I can't remember a single thing. I just know that I'm already in front of your office door and then I hear the two of you. I thought you were-"

"Just tell me what I need to know."

"Everytime a spirit or a ghost takes over her, there's a huge chance that she won't be able to come back."

"So you're saying that you tried to make your sister come back through... Hollie?"

She didn't respond, although her tears were proof enough to confirm my question.