Chapter 31: Black Lady

Hollie

Ghosts follow me. This much I know. But I never knew that even a mirror would be able to preserve such memory.

Drowning myself in grief, I suffer sleepless nights again, crying. There's not a soul on earth who knows the meaning of loneliness except me. At least this is what I think.

As happy as I am to know about my parents and becoming aware that the only thing I'm good at would be of great help for their obviously unjustified deaths, it's taking an emotional toll on me.

Every time I close my eyes, things kept on replaying in my head making me feel dazed.

Now that my safe haven is no more, I should be strong enough to face the music on my own.

There's only one way to find out all the missing parts, all the answers to my questions and all the people involved: I need to communicate with them.

I am so lost in my sadness that I have no idea how visible it is.

"You haven't eaten all day. You're awfully paler than ever and you don't talk to me." Eirylle sound tired as she states this, pulling me out of my thoughts in the process.

The way I see it, whenever my body is weaker, whenever I'm cut off from the others, the ghosts appear more often. As if my protective barrier is breaking... just the way I need it to.

I'm sorry Eirylle. I need to do this alone.

"I'm just going out for a walk." I told Eirylle without giving her a glance.

"You want me to come with you?" Eirylle sounded tearful but she didn't show this by lowering her head.

"I'll be fine." I say with a simper of a smile, the only effort I could exert.

Yesterday, the lads, for some reason, decide that we should stay elsewhere, in exception of the Styles manor. So here we are at Zayn's place.

As I exit the confines of the guest's room, I hear a sound coming from the far end of the hallway. It was a faint sound as that of a whisper.

I paused to listen but nothing.

Then I hear it again, only clearer this time. It was giggling joyously.

Assuring myself that I am not imagining things, I look back at the room where Eirylle was and she was nowhere to be found.

"Hello?" I walkabout just waiting for something to show up until I end up by the stairwell.

"I know you don't want to be alone."

I swivel back around only to see a lady going up the spiral staircase.

"Wait!" My frantic breathing didn't stop me from going after her.

"This way."

I hurried not taking away my eyes from her dark figure.

"Come and see."

Up and up she goes while I pant and cumbersomely  climb the stairs after her.

It'll be dark soon. My eyesight is becoming poorer and poorer that it causes my vision to see less in the dark.

"Come and see here." She says again.

I try to keep up and finally, I reach the top of the last staircase, breathless and with exhausted legs.