Chapter 34: Intuition

[Somewhere in Lenka...]

"You must be mistaken!"

"I'm sorry? I'm most definitely not mistaken. I remember her! In case it escaped your notice, she's the spitting image of her mother." Edward bellows in Cassandra's face. But all Cassandra did is cackle madly like her old friend has gone loopy.

"C, let's not take what he said very lightly." A nervous Oliver said. "What if they reopen the case? What then?"

"Of course I'm not. And stop making such a fuss! It's been more than two decades. All I'm thinking is that... I find it odd that our friend Edward here is telling us that that girl is still alive when he told us that she died."

Edward fumes in anger, his whole face had gone bright red.

"She died, right? Drowned in the lake. The very lake where our house resides."

Zayn

"We found this sir." London places a plastic pouch on top of the desk.

We stare at each other before I take a look at what they found in the lake.

"Are you okay?" I can't help but ask. She wouldn't stop crying last night. She only did stop when Eirylle told us that Hollie is doing better.

"Yes. I'm much better. Thank you, sir."

"Did you check all what's recorded in the camera?" I close my eyes, feeling my migraine blasting my head.

"Yes. It is as what Sir Louis told us. Ms. Hollie was the first to have gone outside minutes before Sir Louis."

"What about the person he saw in the lake? Have you seen anyone?"

London shakes her head no. I close my eyes again as the sense of missing something becomes more and more apparent.

A tad bit dissatisfied with her answer, I turn my attention on the packet. The thing inside the plastic wrap is a bracelet. Or is it a small necklace?

"It looked familiar, the pendant did. So I did a little investigation. Then I saw this in that unused old room in north wing." She puts down a piece of paper. A photo.

"How did you know where to look?"

"The task..." She heaves a breath. A sore throat must be on its way. "The first task I was given on my very first day of service to your family was to assist with the installation of the surveillance cameras."

"And?" I encourage her to go on. "What does that has to do with this?"

"When we turn on all the cameras, we found something in the attic."

That's odd. There are no surveillance cameras in that part of the house.

"But I thought there are no camcorders up there?"

"That's correct, sir. But we only removed them when Madam Cassandra ordered us to. And that was before we found a box stuffed with a bunch of different things." London explains further.

I frown in confusion. Why would my mother have those cameras removed? Is she hiding something?

"So, this was in that box you found... When were you hired?" I tilt my head to the side. My skull feels as if its about to crack open.

"Three years ago."

"The same year Ashley disappeared and Amber died." I mutter more to myself.

What am I missing?