Chapter 42: Farewell Gift

Hollie

"You keep on pushing him to the edge. You always say you don't want to see him." Zayn declares.

Wait. What's happening to my eyes?

"He held on Hollie." He states earnestly. But I can't see anything. Zayn is disappearing before me. Why?

"Even though he's on the brink of falling. As we speak, he's still holding on."

I... I can't see! I can't see!

My body collapses as I succumb to the inky darkness that encloses me.

I've had enough to endure. Everything is painful. Even breathing was hard.

Where am I?

This is the first question that popped in my head as I take a look at my surroundings.

It's so dark... and cold.

"Hello Hollie."

A sliver of light passes by. It felt warm as it courses around me.

"Who are you?" I walk towards where the voice was coming although it feels as if it's coming from every direction. Slowly taking a step after another, the light passes by like waves in the ocean, guiding me. I wanted to ask where I was, but there seemed an impediment sensation in the pit of my stomach.

The willowy light straightens into a vertical line as I approach it.

"Come with me." It cries out with its voice that was less than a whisper. "Over here."

The light, to my astonishment, was actually coming from a crack on the door.

I made no effort to knock and just went in and I was welcomed by a blinding light. I cover my eyes with my hands only letting some of the brightness escape between the gaps of my fingers.

My eyes adjust to the white light and I realise I was in a very familiar hallway full of lockers. I continue to walk on and saw those blistering placards glued to the wall.

"Cultural Festival... Science Fair... Congratulations Graduates!" I murmur, reading the posters on the wall in nostalgia. "Then this must be..." I turn around to prove my theory true that I am actually at school but I was surprised to find someone standing behind me.

"Amber." I gasp.

She smiles at me, closing her sightless eyes. The moment she does so, a painful sensation suffuses on my head, prompting me to close my eyes as well.

"What--" I cover my eyes but I endured the pain and look back at Amber.

"Do you still intend to use your powers... even if it means you will soon perish?"

Is she talking about my ability to see those that are not of this world?

"I can help people." I say, my eyes tightly shut in pain. "I saved a lot of lost souls. You must've seen them too."

"I saved you quite a lot of times." Her voice echoes from every direction. As I listen, visions of some unfamiliar memories flashes in my mind's eye like a flickering lamp.

"My life. I passed on my remaining years to you. I gave you my own means to see..."

It was pitch dark again. I feel soft caresses go around my head and the darkness was no more as a hint of light glints from the other side of my eyelids. Slowly, I open my eyes. The cotton filament that once covered my eyes lay on the cushions beside my hands.