3AM Coffee (Logan & Virgil)

Concept: Human AU. Logan and Virgil's kitchen windows face each other and due to both having bad sleeping habits they always see each other making coffee at 3 AM.

I don't think there's any triggers but if there is please let me know and I'll update this. 

Logan:

I knew this wasn't good for me, but my work never stopped. I was awake for the fifth time this week at 3 am. I sighed as I closed my computer, not that it helped. My mind never shut up even after I stopped for the night. Theoretically, I could just go lie down and be asleep in a few minutes. Realistically, I'd be up for at least another hour, even with my melatonin which I shouldn't be taking at this time anyway.  

I stood up and stretched before heading to the kitchen. I found the best way to fall asleep relatively quickly, still taking at least an hour, was a cup of decaf coffee. Should I be drinking any coffee at this time? Probably not. But it is what it is. As I started the coffee machine, I looked out my window, managing to lock eyes with my neighbor, who also happened to be in their kitchen at this time making coffee and staring out the window.  Before I could fully register what happened, my neighbor dropped from my sight, making me wonder if I was hallucinating due to lack of sleep.

Virgil: 

I knew this was probably an overreaction but I panicked when I locked eyes with my neighbor. I mean, what were they going to say if they knew I was making coffee at 3 in the freaking morning. I'd already been lectured by my friend, Patton about going to bed on time and some other things I had tuned out. Patton tended to go on and on about random things. It's not that I meant to. 

All I wanted to do was drink some coffee and zone out on Tumblr until I eventually fell into the sweet abyss that is sleep. Instead, I had to make eye contact with his neighbor. Wait why was he up at this time? Virgil knew that normally this neighbor went to bed at a decent hour. No, I wasn't stalking, but when you have chronic insomnia and kitchens that face each other, you unintentionally learn schedules. 

I stood up a little bit to see if my neighbor was still there and sighed in relief when he wasn't. Virgil quickly grabbed his coffee and silently went back to my room, hoping my neighbor wouldn't say anything. Knowing myself, I was not going to leave my house if I could help it. 

Logan:

Another day, another 3 am coffee. This time it wasn't about work. My internal clock had been thrown off so much that I now couldn't sleep at a normal hour. I was exhausted, but it had become a routine to make coffee at 3 am to help me sleep. So here I was making a cup of coffee. 

Just like the night before, I looked out his window to see my neighbor again making coffee. Before I knew what I was doing, I waved at them. 

Virgil:

I didn't know what I was doing when I unconsciously waved back at my neighbor. My head was screaming at me as if I was crazy for doing it. I also didn't know what I was doing when I opened my window. I leaned out and waved at my neighbor to do the same. 

When my neighbor did, I called out softly, "Hey, what are you doing up this late?"

His neighbor said back, "3 am coffee, you?"

"Same. To be honest, I didn't think you were one to stay up this late."

"Previously, no. But as of right now, it is becoming more common than not. Work and I think newfound insomnia that I have developed. That's why I do coffee at this time. What about you? Why are you up at this time."

"A huge case of insomnia. Coffee doesn't relax me but I like the taste. And before you say, my friend Patton already tells me it's bad for me. Oh well."

He laughs at that, tiredness creeping in as he does so, "You and me both. I'm Logan Berry. I don't think I have ever formally introduced myself."

I smile, "I'm Virgil. Virgil Storm."

Logan:

I smile at Virgil, then notice my coffee is done, "Well Virgil, my coffee is done. I should head to bed."

Virgil nods as he says jokingly "Same. See ya tomorrow at 3 am"

I laugh a little, even though I can feel the tiredness overtaking me. I wave goodbye, close my window and head to bed. 

No ones POV:

This kept happening for weeks. The two of them developed quite the friendship. They realized that they had a lot in common. They both looked forward to these meetups. Soon they were talking with each other during the day. 

Word Count: 798

A/N: I hope you liked this! I really enjoyed writing it. This is definitely different from my usual angst but I felt like writing something happier. 

That said, while I was writing this my partner and I were finishing Fruits Baskets and omg I was legit crying. The ending was so good. Have a good day/afternoon/night. And don't forget to drink water.