Must have been the wind (Logan)

A/N So, this is loosely based on the Animatic above and is based on the song in the Animatic.

TW: Implied abuse, yelling, things being thrown. (If there's more I should add please let me know)

I heard a glass shatter on the wall in the apartment above mine; at first I thought that I was dreaming but then I heard the voice of a girl and it sounded like she'd been crying, now I'm too worried to be sleeping.

I was staring at my ceiling for the millionth time of the night. Ever since I moved into the dorms, I have had trouble sleeping. It was like everything was louder. I was lucky enough to not have a roommate. Well, I did, but they dropped out in the first week. I was just dozing off when I heard what sounded like glass shattering from the floor above me. I thought I was dreaming, but I heard yelling as well. I dragged myself out of bed and decided to check it out. I didn't want to bother the RA, as I'm sure they had more important things to do, but I was worried about what was going on.

So I took the elevator to the second floor, walked down the door, and knocked upon her door.

I walked down the hallway, trying to figure out which room it was until I found it. It was the one right above me. I could still hear someone yelling; they were so loud that I was surprised that someone hadn't come up to check on it yet. I knocked softly on the door, trying not to wake up anyone else, if they were really still asleep. I heard the yelling stop, and it was quiet for the first time since I came up onto the hall.

She opened up and I asked about what I've been hearing. She said, "I think your ears are playing tricks on you" Sweater zipped up to her chin

I was just about to leave when the door opened. The person who opened the door looked like he'd been crying. I took a second to look at him, trying to see if there was any injuries on him. I noticed that his jacket was zipped up all the way and he was fidgeting with his sleeves, and didn't look me in the eyes.

"Oh...um...did you need something?" He stuttered out.

"Oh, sorry. I live on the floor below you and thought I had heard something break and wanted to know if everything was okay." I say, silently cursing at myself for taking too long.

"I think you heard something else. That didn't happen." He said, getting more nervous.

"Okay, I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Thanks for caring sir that's nice of you but I have to go back in. Wish I could tell you about the noise but I didn't hear a thing. It must've been the wind, must've been the wind." She said "it must've been the wind must've been the wind must've been the wind"

"Thanks for checking, but I swear everything is okay. I didn't hear anything like that. It was probably the wind, it's really windy out there right now."

"Yes, it was probably that." I say, frowning. I turn to leave but then turn back to him, "My name is Logan Sanders, I live in the dorm room right below yours. In case you need anything."

With that I leave and go back to my dorm room. I give up on sleeping, worried that something will happen to the person I met. There was yelling, I was sure of it, but it seemed like the person didn't want to say anything. It was probably because of whoever else is rooming with him. I thought back to the yelling, and hoped that it was just yelling, but the glass shattering didn't make me too hopeful.

So I was laying on the floor of my room, cold concrete on my back. No I just couldn't shake the feeling. I didn't want to intrude cause I knew I didn't have all the facts but I couldn't bear the thought of leaving her.

I had given up trying to do homework at my desk, instead opting for the floor, in hopes that it would help me focus on it. Instead, I was just thinking about the person I met the other day. I had learned from one of my friends that his name was Virgil. I looked at the essay that I was attempting to work on, then put my computer down. I wasn't sure what I was doing as I walked down the hallway.

So I took the elevator to the second floor, walked down the door, and knocked upon her door.

I was back on the second floor, walking towards the room. I could faintly hear yelling, but it wasn't as loud as the other night, but I could still hear it. I quickened my pace and quickly knocked on the door. The yelling stopped immediately.

She opened up and I asked about what I've been hearing. She said, "I think your ears are playing tricks on you" Sweater zipped up to her chin

He was the one who opened up the door, and I was relieved. He looked confused on why I was there. He then stepped into the hallway closing the door behind him before saying, "Did you need something?"

"Oh, um, I...I was a little bit worried about you. I know it seems weird but with the yelling and what might've been a glass shattering. I wanted to know if you were okay."

He smiled at me but his fidgeted with his sleeves again, "Yeah, I'm okay. And I told you, I didn't hear anything."

"Do you want to go get lunch with me?" I blurted out. After a minute of us staring at each other, I realized what I said, "I mean, as maybe friends? I wasn't trying to ask you out. I just..."

"Thanks for caring sir that's nice of you but I have to go back in. Wish I could tell you about the noise but I didn't hear a thing. It must've been the wind, must've been the wind." She said "it must've been the wind must've been the wind must've been the wind"

He laughed a little, "Oh, I didn't think you were, I would have but I have to go back inside. Maybe some other time."

"Okay, yeah. Let's do that. Again, I'm on the floor just below yours if you need anything"

"Thanks Logan, but I'm fine. I don't know what you've been hearing but I swear it's the wind." He says as he opens the door. I watch him go back inside before heading back to my room.

Aimed my boombox at the roof I'm playing "Lean on me" just so that she knows she can lean on me. And when she hears the words I hope she knows she'll be okay (x2)

I started checking in on him every day, much to his annoyance. I was worried If I wasn't there that something bad would happen. Eventually, he and I started hanging out, mostly in my dorm or elsewhere on campus. He never wanted me to go to his dorm room.

Promise I'm not playing tricks on you, you're always welcome to come in. You could stay here for an hour or two if you ever need a friend. We can talk about the noise when you're ready but til then I'll say it must've been the wind

I texted him one day letting him know I'd be later than normal, but that I would meet him at our usual spot. I wanted him to feel safe and that was away from his roommate. I had met with the RA and arranged it so that he could move in with me. I was just picking up the spare keys.

When I gave him the keys, and he hugged me. I hugged back, surprised but happy he was happy. We walked back to the dorms after picking up food. We cuddled up on my bed and watched conspiracy theories together. We planned on moving his stuff into my room tomorrow, after his roommate was at their classes. I knew he was safe and when he is ready we can talk about what happened.

Word Count: 1349

I hope you guys liked it! This was so much fun to write. There will be a second part coming out soon. It'll be from Virgil's perspective of what happened in this story.