1.04 ; outer city

Navigating through desolate landscapes with an unsettling lack of explanation, the journey led them to the middle of nowhere. Lori, her actions shrouded in mystery, guided Carl outside. A concealed firearm nestled in her pocket, a gift from Shane, hinted at the ominous circumstances surrounding their escape.

Seated in the passenger seat of the police car, Natalie observed the enigmatic surroundings. Shane, stationed as a watchful guardian, anxiously scanned the area, his hand nervously finding its way to his mouth. Two days had elapsed since the unsettling events unfolded, yet Natalie and Carl remained in the dark, the reasons for their fugitive status still elusive.

The passing of time did little to dispel the haunting ambience that clung to the night. Unanswered questions lingered in the air, casting a shadow over their clandestine journey, as the nocturnal stillness served as a backdrop to their inexplicable flight.

"He's dead" Natalie repeated; Shane had told Lori the day of coming to pick them up. He hummed in reaction turning his eyes to see if she would collapse again after finding out. "And we are just on the run,"

Shaking his head and looking down at his hand that he removed from his mouth a little bit. "Some virus outbreak." Shane changed the words that she had said. Turning to him and taking in his words she had nodded her head; looking out of the window into nothing but the dark of the forest distance. Grabbing the door, she had opened the are ducking and walking out of it.

"Get back in the car, Natalie." Shane rushed out following her as the smaller dirty blonde girl rushed out of the car and into the abandoned street. But then she just stopped looking forward. Honestly, in her mind, she was waiting for the moment to be alone so that she could process all of these emotions that she was feeling. "Get back in the car, Natalie." His voice was getting harder and harder, with more worry as she got away from the car.

Her head tilted to the side a little bit, as everything went silent for Natalie just hearing the sounds of the bugs flying through the air waiting to hear Lori and Carl walk back to the car. Thinking it was them the sound of cracks was heard in the left of the woods causing her to furrow her eyebrows turning and looking in the direction.

Navigating the woods, Natalie instinctively knew her mom and brother had veered left. Yet, perplexingly, unsettling noises emanated from the right side of the forest. Squinting into the shadows, she strained to discern the source. Gradually, a figure materialized, advancing towards her and Shane at an agonizing pace. Tension mounted, accompanied by a low growl that reverberated in Natalie's ears. She turned around abruptly, only to be seized by Shane, eliciting a startled screech from her before being hoisted up.

The limping silhouette drew nearer, and in one swift motion, Shane drew his gun, firing it with precision. A spray of blood erupted from the figure's head, and Natalie's wide-eyed gaze witnessed the body crumpling to the forest floor.

A blood-curdling scream escaped her lips as she instinctively closed her eyes, hands covering them in shock at the gruesome scene. Lori rushed back, demanding answers. "What happened?!" Lori rushed back over; Shane had let go of shakened Natalie's wide eyes staring forward her mouth a bit agap. "Jesus!" She shouted seeing the body in shock.

Her hand covered the side of Carl shielding him from this. "Get in the car," Shane grabbed onto Natalie's wrist. "NOW!"

His urgency resonated, and Shane's grip on Natalie's wrist tightened. In a daze, she complied, the shock of the encounter etched on her face. Lori, shielding Carl from the grisly sight, followed Shane's directive and ushered him into the backseat. Released from Shane's grip, Natalie found herself almost shell-shocked, her mind struggling to process the abrupt violence.