1.06 ; lonely nights

In the ensuing days, Natalie put on a facade as if nothing cataclysmic had unfolded, shielding the depths of her emotions from her mother. Their relationship, however, deepened as they attempted to find closure amidst the chaos that had transpired during that harrowing night. It became a shared endeavour, a mutual effort to understand and reconcile, preventing the suppressed turmoil from erupting in an explosive crescendo.

Survival became the focal point of their existence in this altered world. The routine of securing clean water, meticulously filtering it for portability, and navigating the lake for baths and showers became a daily choreography. Meanwhile, Ethan continued to cast stolen glances at Natalie, creating a web of unspoken tension that interweaved with their daily struggles.

Despite the harsh reality, a sense of security enveloped Natalie. With Shane's protective presence and the camaraderie of friends like Glenn, who shared her age, the makeshift community provided a semblance of comfort. Even made friends with a lot of the women on the site as well, almost comforting her in the process since periods and everything were hard to deal with out here. Amidst the challenges, conversations with Cassie became a sanctuary where they delved into the complexities of their new reality.

In the midst of it all, Natalie clung to the memories of her father, Rick, as a lifeline. The recollections of happier times served as a poignant anchor, a stabilizing force preventing the encroaching waves of insanity from engulfing her. Each cherished memory, no matter how recent, became a resilient shield against the encroaching chaos.

She still felt alone in everything that was happening even if she was trying to open up to her mother or Shane whoever she was talking to it still didn't help. Her dad was the one who she needed to take away that feeling from her. No matter what she would need that ghost back inside of her there and helping her through all of this since she knew her dad was a fighter, he would want her to fight the hardest that she was able to. 

It wasn't like she was dreaming about him anymore with all of that disappearing and all of her sleep were dreams that she couldn't even remember, "Shane is going on a water run." Lori informed Natalie who was sitting with Carl and the two of them were trying to make small traps out of sticks and leaves. 

The women had walked closer to the two of them before noticing the jacket that Natalie was wearing belonged to Rick causing her mouth to go agape for a little bit. "Did you want to go with him?" She asked, Lori had noted the distance Natalie had put between her and Shane only because the two of them used to be close. 

"Dale was going to show me and Cassie how to set up a fishing hook" She had informed her mother coming up with an excuse to not go and hang out with the man for a while since now she knew how he felt. It still felt like she needed to tell him how she was feeling about everything 

"I want to do that!" Carl complained not knowing that his sister was going to be doing that. 

Natalie had jokingly stuck her tongue out; "Too bad, Me and Cas already have our places." Lori looked at both of her children as even if this was a bad time to be in with people not knowing what was going to happen to them next. It winded up bringing them closer than they were which felt good and nostalgic to her. 

"We can have one more." Dale had entered the conversation as he walked over with a shotgun in his hand holding it to the side; this had been the most that Natalie had ever seen any kind of gun close enough to see all the details of them not even knowing when she was going to hold it. 

At this comment Carl had stuck his tongue out at Natalie; "Carl!" Lori warned her son who looked a bit offended about being called out. "Iris, just go with him for a little, and then you can finish the day with Dale. Shane doesn't think anyone should go anywhere alone." She had reminded the young women about everything that had been happening; Shane took over the site being in control of everything going on.