1.23 ; envy

The entire group found themselves confined within the narrow expanse of the hallway, a claustrophobic arrangement reminiscent of a dormitory. 

The walls on either side were punctuated by doors, creating an atmosphere of confined anticipation. The hallway, usually a passage for transit, now morphed into a makeshift staging ground for the evening's arrangements.

Following the completion of dinner, a communal activity that momentarily brought them together, the group mobilized in unison. Each member retrieved their bags and personal belongings, a medley of possessions that bore the weight of their shared survival. The shuffling sounds of footsteps echoed through the hallway as they collectively navigated toward the assigned rooms.

The atmosphere carried a sense of organized chaos, as the group jostled for space within the corridor, a bustling microcosm of interpersonal dynamics. The doors lining the hallway stood sentinel, holding the promise of reprieve within their confined chambers. 

As the group dispersed into the various rooms, the hallway retained the lingering energy of shared camaraderie, a reflection of the transient unity forged in the face of a world in disarray.

"Most of the facility is powered down including housing, so you'll have to make do here. The couches are comfortable, but there are cots in storage if you like." Jenner spoke eyeing the open rooms. "There's a rec room down the hall that you kids might enjoy. Just don't plug in the video games, okay? Or anything that draws power. The same applies if you shower, go easy on the hot water."

Like a beat dropped Glenn turned looking at the group of people. "Hot water?" Jaw widened. 

"That's what the man said." T-Dog cheered high-fiving Glenn. The both of them had gone through and into a room. 

Natalie followed Lori, Rick, and Carl into a room before Shane grabbed onto her wrist turning her. Snatching her wrist she moved from Shane's touch. 

Not knowing what he had done, Shane bit the inside of his cheek while the dirty blonde disappeared behind the door shutting it. The room was an office like every other room in the area. "I'll get three cots." Rick placed his bag down going to the door to grab the knob. "Anything else?" 

"Nope," Lori smiled with her hands on her hips. 

In the dimly lit office, the air hung heavy with tension as Carl surveyed the surroundings, absorbing the gravity of the argument unfolding. The charged atmosphere matched the storm brewing between Lori and Natalie, the palpable strain threatening to rupture their fragile equilibrium.

"You're done with Shane, whatever is going on—I'm stopping you," Lori declared, his voice a tense undercurrent that reverberated in the confined space.

"I'm an adult," Natalie retorted, her gaze fixed on the task of unpacking clothes. The promise of a hot shower beckoned, a small respite in a world filled with chaos.

Lori, her patience worn thin, cut through the air with a biting remark. "Who's sleeping with her dad's best friend?" Her words, laced with accusation, hung in the room like a storm cloud. "You don't see what is wrong...Natalie, he's questioning my parenting..." She locked eyes with Natalie, refusing to let her attention waver while being careful not to involve Carl directly.

Shooting back a quizzical look, Natalie squinted, attempting to comprehend the depth of Lori's anger. "I never said you weren't," she responded, a trace of confusion in her voice.

Lori maintained a piercing gaze, her eyes locking onto Natalie's. "That was final, Nat... Or Rick will know..."

A soft chuckle escaped Natalie's lips, a mixture of resignation and understanding. "I'll return him his clothes in the morning too," she remarked, a subtle acknowledgment of the repercussions of her actions. Deep down, she grasped that Lori, in her attempt to be a devoted mother and wife in a world unraveling at the seams, was fighting to preserve the semblance of normalcy.