Karaoke Night

⋆⭒˚.⋆

My life has become completely turned upside down. Never had I ever thought that I would be crushing on my rival-turned-friend like this.

That night with the cupcakes, a week ago, the realization had hit me like a ton of bricks. Of course.

That was why she was on my mind 24/7, and why I was daydreaming about kissing her. It's been years since I've actually had a crush on someone, so that's why it took me so long to recognize the feeling. And now that I had acknowledged it, it was so hard to ignore.

Tonight, we were back in the studio working on the song, as usual. We were done with the instrumentals, and now we were just recording the lyrics. The bright, blinking lights of recording equipment lit up the otherwise dim room, and Velvet and Veneer were completely focused.

Yet, my mind was anything but focused.

As I listened and nodded along to the instrumentals, I found myself stealing glances at Velvet, who was deeply engrossed in adjusting the sound levels. Her fingers danced over the controls, her intense concentration only adding to the pull I felt. I couldn't help but admire the way her hair looked down right now, reflecting the light. Sometimes, she would pull the strands behind her ears when she was frustrated. Yet another little detail that I noticed, like a lovesick idiot.

Beside her, Veneer was equally immersed in the process, his fingers expertly navigating a mixing board. Turns out Kid Ritz DJ'd in his free time and had taught Veneer a thing or two. But, even as I was trying to pay attention to him, my focus was continually drawn back to Velvet – her every move, every expression. It was distracting, to say the least.

I closed my eyes, attempting to shut out the image of her fingers. Damned dirty mind.

After a particularly mesmerizing guitar riff played through the speakers, I sighed, realizing my struggle to focus was futile. I looked at the time; it was around seven.

"Hey, Y/N, you good? You look rough." Velvet's voice broke through my thoughts.

I nodded, attempting to shake off the distraction. "Oh, um, yeah. I'm good."

She playfully nudged me with her shoulder in response. But, to me, it was anything but playful. The warmth of her bare skin against mine sent a delicious chill through me, and I had to force myself to relax.

Of course I know that this would never work out. Two rival popstars, pitted against each other eternally? What an enemies-to-lovers cliché, am I right? Besides, Velvet definitely doesn't feel the same way. Why would she? Does she even like girls? Come to think of it, I've never seen any of her relationships in the media. Does she even like anyone?

The song started again from the top, and I fidgeted in my chair, my leg shaking. I was crushing on Velvet, and it was both thrilling and terrifying. Mostly terrifying.

Curse this stupid leg. Curse my stupid mind. Curse these stupid feelings. Curse–

I glanced back at Veneer, who seemed blissfully unaware of the internal chaos I was experiencing. He was in his element, lost in the music, while I grappled with emotions that threatened to tear apart this friendship, collaboration, everything. Veneer got up and stretched, then announced that he was going to go grab some snacks.

Once he left, Velvet started humming to the music, and my attention was, once again, back on her. How easy would it be to just reach out and cup her face in my hands and pull her closer? Let my hands run down to the small of her back, grip the fabric there, and watch the look on her face. I let my mind wander into dangerous territory, imagining the feeling of her lips against mine, the softness of her hair between my fingers.