The diminishing glow of the flame (4)

He left without a word, leaving her abandoned in solitude. Anger surged through her, as she seized her sword, unleashing her fury on a training dummy. With a swift strike, she beheaded it and continued to slash at it until she was breathless. Her rage was tempered as she remembered her mother would always carry her brother. When they would watch her and her father practice their sword-fighting as the dragons would fly around in the sky watching them with such hope. After a while, a sense of boredom washed over her. Once she had finished her training she looked up at the clock in the arena, and reality struck her. It was almost time for school and she was still here training. Even though she was dreading heading to school because of all the unnecessary bullying, they knew that she was different and that she didn't believe in their principal or what they were trying to teach them. This made her an outcast in a Kingdom already considered an outcast. Her father had made the people believe that dragons were vile creatures. These moments of isolation weighed on her, she knew that she was different. There was no denying this but she was determined to face it even if she had to do it alone.

As she left the battle arena, her feet touched the uneven sidewalk, pulling her back to the bustling kingdom. Her attention was caught by a faint, otherworldly sound of lava trickling nearby, a reminder of the volatile forces that shaped the land now. The buildings lining her path bore various architectural styles, yet all were decorated with the Vulcanfire's distinctive logo. After a brisk walk of about ten to fifteen minutes, she arrived at Wildfire High School. This esteemed institution boasted a remarkable reputation, largely due to winning the annual Dragon Games. Each year, teams from different schools face off in a battle of skills and strategies. Whoever wins the game not only secures bragging rights but also brings in a cash prize that brings great honor to their kingdom. The high school team is driven by the promise of victory and an alluring prize. Her thoughts lingered as to why was it that the only time they were semi-decent to dragons. Was when they were competing in the Dragon games. 

Right as she was about to open the door to get inside the high school a soft voice broke her out of the trance. She slowly turned around and saw her best friend, Aeron, with his warm smile that can brighten anyone's day. Their presence took her by surprise, assuming he was already in class. Nonetheless, she greeted him her voice filled with enthusiasm, " Hey, Aeron! How are you? "

" Glad to see you too! I'm doing well. How about you? " Aeron replied

" I'm fine, just finished an intense training session with my father, " she said giving him a small smile. Aeron and Starfania have been childhood friends they grew up together. He was there for her when that incident occurred she owed him a lot. She was also internally grateful for him she honestly didn't know what she would do if she had to face it alone.

Aeron's mesmerizing hair featured striking blue locks with delicate green highlights fading towards the end. A band-aid was located on their left cheek adding an endearing touch of vulnerability, and a navy scarf contrasted his beautiful pale skin. He often wore a stylish navy green shirt with a black accent on his shoulders, along with a dragon-inspired mask which was a gift from his father. Their emerald eyes seemed to hold the mystery of the universe, and when their gaze met, she could still feel their connection. He also knew about Starfania's reservation regarding her following blindly her father's orders. This raised the same question that has constantly been plaguing her mind for some time.

" Why do you unconditionally obey your father's commands? " Aeron asked thoughtfully. " I understand the importance of family, but the weight of expectation must be exhausting. "

She sighed, feeling the familiar weariness of her father's determination to mold her into a leader. " It is tiring when he constantly repeats himself. But I stay loyal because he's family, and we're all that we got. "

Starfania felt like she couldn't shake off the weight of her father's expectations because they both lost so much. She felt like she had to be a loyal daughter to get his approval. However, despite being loyal, doubts started to linger in her mind about blindly following the path he had designed. Aeron's words resonated deep within her, stirring a newfound resolve to explore her options. Right before the conversation continued the bell rang alerting the two friends. Knowing now it was time to head to class. This time she was ready to forge her path in her story that can be read by many generations to come.