14. A Nightmare

Neil stood there, puzzled, as Aarohi's entire outward behaviour changed when the glass broke. Aarohi, frozen in time, her eyes reflecting pain, unveiled a vulnerability Neil had never seen. Unaware of her trauma, he couldn't comprehend the depth of her reaction, but an unspoken understanding dawned on him-there was a hidden story behind those haunted eyes.

As night draped, Aarohi retired to the solace of her bedroom, the weight of the day settling heavily on her shoulders. The room, adorned with muted hues and soft textures, to cocoon her in the air of safety.
In the haunting realm of Aarohi's dreams, shadows change into haunting echoes of her past. The chilling wind whispers the voice of her assaulter, the darkness concealing his face. The distant echoes of footsteps seemed to sync with the pounding of her heart. Each step she takes feels like walking through difficulty through thick despair. The air is heavy with a suffocating fear. The clinking of the wind chimes, the continuous low noise of the distant traffic and the routine chatter of the passersby took on a frightening quality. Even the laughter of children playing nearby carried a haunting tone. As Aarohi stepped into the shadows of her own subconscious, her heart races as she desperately wants an escape that avoids her grasp, trapped in a nightmare that refuses to release its grip on her shattered peace.
Aarohi felt suffocating, each moment dragging her deeper into her subconscious fears. As the sounds of shattered glass reverberate, she found herself entangled in the maze of mental suffering.
In the wake of her unpleasant experience, Aarohi clung to the reality around her, grounding herself. She is now awake completely as the nightmare slowly loosened its grip on her. She was sweating and panting, struggling to breathe. Aarohi is a survivor in the quiet aftermath of the storm within her own mind.
The next day, Neil noticed anxiety in Aarohi's eyes, a part of anxiety after the shattered glass episode. Unaware of the nightmare that haunted her sleep, he tried to engage her in a light conversation, hoping to ease her tension.

Neil-"Aarohi maine kal dekha ki tum thoda thik nahi lag rahi thi. Sab thik toh hai na?"

Aarohi hesitated, her eyes showing vulnerability.
Aarohi-"bas... Woh Tut Gaya glass ne ek purana sapna yaad dila diya."

Neil-"bura sapna hai?"

Aarohi looked at him and closed her eyes, slightly nodding her head.

Neil-"Main yahan hoon, Aarohi. Chaho toh tum apni baat share kar sakti ho."

Aarohi gave a small tiring smile and said "mujhe woh bura sapna phir se yaad nahi karni" and she went inside the room closing the door behind her.

Neil is now drowned in thoughts, when Aarohi came back from the room all dressed up in 10 mins.
Aarohi-"main hospital Jaa Rahi hoon. Agar tum bahar yaan niche Jaa rahe ho toh door lock kar dena."
Neil nodded his head and she left. Neil's heart telling him not to leave her alone but his brain couldn't approach her.

Neil locked the door and went back to his flat and got ready for his day. He made a simple breakfast for himself and he drove to his hospital.

The sun dipped below, casting the darkness over the day.
Neil was back in his house and was cooking. He loved cooking. And he heard a knock on the door. He went to open the door and found Aarohi still in the same outfit she wore this morning. Neil smiled and invited her in.
Neil-"tum baitho main khaana bana raha hu khaa kar jaana."

Aarohi-"nahi main thak gayi hu. Fresh hoke aati hu. Chaabi ke liye aayi thi. Subah tumne hi lock kiya tha na."
Neil nodding his head immediately went in and brought the keys. Giving them to her, he said "fresh hone ke baad aana, warna food waste ho jaayegi."

Aarohi-"aaungi...subah se kuch nahi kaayi thi."
Neil-"Aarohi tum ne kal se kuch nahi khaya tha. Khaane ki Bina jee rahi ho tum"
Aarohi-"busy thi toh vakt nahi mila. Ab kha lungi."
Neil-"aise hi meals skip karoge toh ek din hospital doctor nahi patient ban ke jaana padega."

Aarohi ran upstairs before he could speak anything more. Neil shook his head in despair.
Neil and Aarohi were having a silent dinner, when Aarohi broke the ice.
Aarohi-"tum khaana acha bana lete ho chamgadar. Lucky hai voh ladki Jo tumse shaadi karegi."
Neil smiled.
Neil-"waise bhabhi ne Kahan tha ki tum bohot achi khaana banate ho. Kab khila Rahi ho?"
Aarohi-"hospital se aane ke baad itna thak jaati hun ki khud ke liye ek Maggie banane ka bhi energy nahi bachta hai. Ek Sunday ko biryani bana ke khilaungi."
Neil-"pakka na...yaad rahega ki agreement likhvau"
Aarohi-"pakka.. yaad rahega mujhe."
They had their dinner they spent a lot of time together and when they realised the time, Aarohi went back to her flat to hit the bed.
Aarohi was sleeping. She is not a somnolent. Aarohi woke up as she heard a sound in the balcony.
When she went there and saw, her eyes widened and jaw dropped. She ran away inside the room, locked the door and went and sat on the corner of the room, scared.

That's it and I know you guys know who the person could be who sneaked in the night.
Guess the person in the comments.
After a heavy part I thought of writing something light hearted and wrote their dinner part.
And a heavy emotional chapter again tomorrow.
Do vote for the chapter and comment.