31. New Normal

Returning to Kolkata felt like stepping into a familiar yet changed world. As the plane landed, the familiar sights and sounds of the city greeted me with a strange mix of comfort and apprehension. The city where I had once felt so at home now held memories that were both healing and haunting.

Neil and I collected our luggage in silence, each lost in our own thoughts. The ride to our building was quiet, but the comfortable kind of quiet that exists between people who understand each other deeply. When we arrived, Neil helped me with my bags, his presence a steady source of support.

“Back to where it all began,” I murmured as we entered the building.

Neil smiled softly. “Yes, but with new beginnings this time.”

As we stepped into my flat, I felt a rush of nostalgia. The familiar furniture, the soft lighting, the scent of home—it was all as I remembered, yet it felt different with Neil here. He placed the bags down and turned to me, his expression gentle.

“Need help unpacking?” he asked.

I shook my head, giving him a grateful smile. “I’ll manage. Thanks, Neil.”

Neil nodded, understanding my need for some alone time. “I’ll be just down the hall if you need anything.”

As he left, I looked around the flat, trying to ground myself. The flat was my sanctuary, a place where I had always felt safe. But now, with Neil’s constant presence, it felt like I was sharing that sanctuary, and I wasn’t quite sure how to feel about it.

---

The days slipped into a routine, a new normal that I was slowly getting used to. Neil was a constant fixture in my life now, spending most of his time in my flat. His presence was comforting, but it also meant I had to adjust my habits.

Before, after a long day at the hospital, I would come home and strip down to my under clothes, enjoying the freedom and comfort of my space. But now, with Neil around, I couldn’t do that. I had to stay dressed, always prepared for him to show up at any moment.

One evening, after a particularly exhausting day, I walked into my flat, longing to slip into something more comfortable. I kicked off my shoes and headed to my bedroom, but as I reached for my pajama shorts, I hesitated. Neil could knock any minute. With a sigh, I opted for my usual comfortable, but more conservative, attire.

It was a small change, but it made me realize how much things had shifted. Neil’s presence, while comforting, was also a reminder that my sanctuary was no longer just mine. I couldn’t move as freely as before, and that required adjustment.

---

Our evenings were a blend of companionship and routine. We often cooked dinner together, sharing stories about our day. Neil’s laugh was infectious, and his stories always managed to bring a smile to my face, even on the toughest days.

One evening, as we sat down for dinner, Neil noticed my restlessness. “You seem a bit off. Everything okay?”

I sighed, pushing my food around my plate. “It’s just… different now. Having you around all the time. I’m not complaining, it’s just an adjustment.”

Neil looked at me, understanding in his eyes. “I get it. If it’s too much, I can give you more space.”

I shook my head quickly. “No, it’s not that. I like having you here. It’s just… new. I used to have my routines, and now I have to change them.”

Neil reached across the table and took my hand. “We’ll find a new normal. Together.”

---

Despite the adjustments, having Neil around brought a sense of warmth and stability to my life. We spent our weekends exploring the city, rediscovering places I loved and finding new ones. Neil had a way of making everything seem lighter, more bearable.

But the changes in my routine were more profound than just my attire. I found myself more conscious of my space, my habits. I used to leave books and clothes scattered around, a habit born out of comfort in my own company. Now, I made sure things were tidy, aware that Neil might drop by at any moment.

One night, after a particularly draining shift at the hospital, I walked into my flat and found Neil already there, waiting with a glass of wine and a comforting smile.

“Long day?” he asked, handing me the glass.

I nodded, taking a sip. “You have no idea.”

Neil patted the space beside him on the couch. “Come, sit. Tell me about it.”

I sank into the couch beside him, feeling the day’s tension melt away. We talked for hours, our conversation flowing easily. Neil had a way of making me feel heard, understood. It was a new kind of intimacy, one that was both comforting and a little scary.

As the evening wore on, I felt a warmth spreading through me, a connection that was deeper than friendship. Neil’s presence was becoming a part of my life, and I was slowly realizing how much I had come to rely on him.

---

One morning, I woke up early, the city still quiet in the pre-dawn light. I made myself a cup of coffee and sat by the window, watching the world wake up. The stillness was soothing, a rare moment of solitude.

Just as I was settling into the quiet, there was a soft knock on the door. I opened it to find Neil, holding two cups of coffee.

“Morning,” he said, handing me one of the cups. “Thought you might need this.”

I smiled, taking the cup. “You know me too well.”

We sat together, watching the sunrise. It was a simple moment, but it felt significant. Neil’s presence was becoming an integral part of my life, and while it required adjustments, it also brought a sense of completeness I hadn’t realized I was missing.

As we sipped our coffee in comfortable silence, I felt a wave of gratitude. For Neil, for the support he provided, for the way he understood me without words. Our bond was deepening, and with it came a sense of peace.

Life in Kolkata was different now, but it was a new kind of normal that I was slowly embracing. With Neil by my side, the city felt a little less daunting, a little more like home. And as I navigated these changes, I realized that maybe, just maybe, this new normal was exactly what I needed.

After a long time. And this is from Aarohi's PoV. Do vote and comment.