27.Family

The sun was beginning to set, casting a golden hue across the Goenka family’s sprawling lawn. Kairav sat on a wooden bench near the flower beds, two steaming mugs of coffee placed on the small table beside him. He glanced towards the house, waiting for Neil to join him. The past few days had been an emotional rollercoaster, and tonight, Kairav wanted to take a moment to express his gratitude.

Neil walked out of the house, his steps purposeful but relaxed. Seeing Kairav, he made his way over and took a seat on the bench, picking up one of the mugs.

“Thanks for the coffee,” Neil said, taking a sip and savoring the rich aroma. “It’s been a while since we’ve had a chance to just sit and talk.”

Kairav nodded, his expression thoughtful. “Yeah, things have been... intense, to say the least.” He paused, gathering his thoughts. “Neil, I’ve been meaning to talk to you. I just want to say thank you.”

Neil looked at him, eyebrows raised in surprise. “Thank me? For what?”

“For everything,” Kairav replied earnestly. “For being there for Aarohi, for supporting her through all of this. You’ve been her rock, and I can’t tell you how much that means to me—to all of us.”

Neil smiled, a bit bashfully. “You don’t need to thank me, Kairav. Aarohi means a lot to me. She’s family, and I’d do anything for her.”

Kairav’s eyes softened as he looked out over the garden. “When all of this started, I felt so helpless. I wanted to protect her, to make sure she was okay, but I didn’t know how. You stepped in when it mattered most, and you gave her the strength to keep fighting.”

Neil took a deep breath, the weight of the past years’ struggles evident in his eyes. “Aarohi is one of the bravest people I know. All I did was stand by her and remind her of that. The real strength was always hers.”

Kairav nodded, his expression somber. “She is brave. But it’s easier to be brave when you know you have someone in your corner. You gave her that, Neil. And I’ll always be grateful for it.”

Neil felt a swell of emotion at Kairav’s words. “Thank you, Kairav. That means a lot coming from you.”

They sat in companionable silence for a while, sipping their coffee and watching the sun dip below the horizon. The garden lights flickered on, casting a warm glow over the lawn.

After a while, Neil stood up, stretching his legs. “I think I’ll go in.” he said looking inside as if searching for someone.

Kairav smiled and nodded. “Go ahead, she is most probably in her room. She could use your company.”

Neil bit the insides of his cheeks and made his way back into the house, his footsteps echoing softly in the quiet hallways. He reached Aarohi’s room and knocked gently on the door.

“Come in,” Aarohi’s voice called from inside.

Neil opened the door and stepped into the room. Aarohi was sitting on her bed, a book in her hands. She looked up and smiled when she saw him.

“Hey, chamgadar. Aao, baitho na,” she said, patting the space beside her.

Neil sat down, the bed dipping slightly under his weight. “Aur... Kaisa lag raha hai?” he asked, his voice gentle.

Aarohi sighed, closing her book and setting it aside. “I’m... okay, I guess. It still feels surreal, you know? I keep replaying the verdict in my head, trying to believe that it’s really over.”

Neil nodded, understanding. “It’s been a long journey. But you did it, Aarohi. You fought for your truth, and you won. That’s something to be incredibly proud of.”

Aarohi leaned back against the pillows, her expression contemplative. “Tumhare bina bilkul nahi kar pati, Neil. You were there every step of the way, giving me the strength to keep going. I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you.”

Neil reached out and took her hand, squeezing it gently. “You don’t have to repay me, chipkali. I was just doing what any friend would do. You’re family to me, and I’m always going to be here for you.”

Aarohi’s eyes glistened with unshed tears. “Thank you, Neil. For everything. You believed in me when I felt like no one else did. Even when my own family doubted me, you stood by my side. That means more to me than you’ll ever know.”

Neil’s expression softened, his eyes filled with warmth. “You’re not alone anymore, Aarohi. You’ve got Akshara, Kairav, and Vansh. And you’ve got me. We’re all here for you, and we’re not going anywhere.”

Aarohi smiled, a genuine, heartfelt smile that reached her eyes. “I’m so lucky to have all of you. Especially you, Neil. You’re my rock.”

Neil felt a lump in his throat, his emotions threatening to overwhelm him. “And you’re my inspiration, Aarohi. Seeing you fight so hard, so bravely... it’s made me realize what true strength looks like.”

They sat in comfortable silence for a while, simply enjoying each other’s presence. The room was filled with a sense of peace and closure, a stark contrast to the chaos and pain of the past.

Aarohi finally broke the silence. “You know, Neil, I’ve been thinking a lot about what comes next. Now that the trial is over, I want to focus on healing, on rebuilding my life. And I want you to be a part of that journey.”

Neil’s heart swelled with emotion. "Main humesha tumhare saath hu.”

Aarohi’s smile widened, her eyes sparkling with hope. “Thank you, Neil. For everything.”

Neil pulled her into a hug, holding her close. “You’re going to be okay, Aarohi. We’re going to be okay. Together.”

As they held each other, the weight of the past seemed to lift, replaced by a sense of hope and determination. They knew there would still be challenges ahead, but they also knew they could face them together.

For the first time in a long time, Aarohi felt a sense of peace. She had fought for her justice and won. Now, with Neil by her side, she was ready to start the next chapter of her life, one filled with hope, healing, and the unbreakable bond of true friendship.

And as they sat there, wrapped in each other’s embrace, they knew that whatever the future held, they would face it together, stronger than ever before.

_
Huh...!!! Friendship. They are going to get betrayed if they still think that it's a bond of true friendship. Agree?. Do comment. And don't forget to vote.