Chapter 20: First Date

Dean

I had just returned home from a lively evening with my friend Ethan, a wave of contentment washing over me as I settled into the comfort of my own space. Suddenly, my phone buzzed with a notification, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw that it was Tara – the girl I had been pining after – agreeing to go on a date with me. The clock read 6 pm, but the excitement coursing through my veins left me unable to wait until the next day.

I wasted no time in arranging the details with Tara, initially suggesting I pick her up by her house. However, she had different plans, opting for a date two hours later at the bustling mall. I couldn't contain my joy. It felt as though a surge of adrenaline was propelling me forward as I prepared for the evening ahead.

Opting for a cream white top paired with a cozy brown jacket to shield myself from the lingering September chill, I meticulously selected black pants to complete the ensemble. With a few deft strokes of my favorite hair gel, I ensured my appearance was just right, paying attention to every detail. The fluttering in my stomach was a sensation I hadn't felt since my high school days, back when taking a girl out was a nerve-wracking thrill. Now, five years later, I was gearing up to take Tara Larsson out on a date, and the thought of it made my heart race with anticipation.

As the agreed-upon time approached, I messaged Tara, coordinating our meeting spot at a charming restaurant nestled within the mall's bustling corridors. Nervous energy crackled in the air as I patiently waited for her arrival, the ticking seconds feeling like an eternity. Unable to contain my excitement, I found myself reaching out to my friend Scott, eager to share the news.

Although my communication with Michael had waned recently, the bond between Scott and me remained strong. In fact, Scott had long been a vocal advocate for me to find a meaningful relationship, cease my flirtatious ways, and embrace the kind of love he shared with his partner, Dana. So, when Scott's response to my joyous announcement was not what I expected, a wave of confusion washed over me. I had counted on Scott's support and encouragement, yet his words seemed to falter at this pivotal moment. Whatever, he sucked balls.

As soon as I closed my phone and looked up, I saw Tara Larsson walking in through the restaurant door, looking about

As soon as I closed my phone and looked up, I saw Tara Larsson walking in through the restaurant door, looking about. She had gotten a new haircut and by haircut I mean she had cut her hair into a bob and dyed her hair. It was dark brown to red and was curled into intricate girly swirls at the bottom and also parted midways. When she saw me, she sashayed towards my table. Her walk accentuated by her attractive outfit.

I stood up as soon as she reached our table and helped her take off her jacket, revealed a beautiful baby doll white dress

"You look so beautiful," I said and she smiled kindly.

"Thank you," she manged to say as we took our seats.

We kept quiet for a while and smiled when our eyes met. We both probably did not know what to say. I had not dome dates in five years, I was so rusty. I thought and she looked around and I realised she was probably bored.

"Did you just get a haircut?" I asked suddenly and she chuckled.

"Good eye," she added and I rested back on my chair.

"You wanted to look pretty for me?" I asked, lowering my voice and she laughed,  she had a cute contagious laugh.

"You flatter yourself," she said and I laughed. We ordered our food and were in that restaurant for a full hour and half. She was not boring but I thought the conversation could have been better but I still wanted a second date with this girl. I do not know what it was but there was something about this girl.