Chapter 14 : Caught in the act

Michal

I made my way to Stassie's house, my heart heavy with the weight of the conversation that had transpired between us last night. Tara had tried to reassure me that she was fine and over it, but I knew better. I could see the lingering hurt in her eyes, hidden behind a facade of indifference.

Arriving at the Duncans' house, I saw D. Duncan by the pool, his laughter ringing out through the air as he indulged in another round of drinks with a blonde girl. I offered a half-hearted greeting, the sight of him in such a state only adding to my frustration.

Pushing past the distraction, I finally made my way to Stassie's room, where she was busy packing her clothes. The sight of her brought a mix of emotions to the surface, but I pushed them aside as I confronted her about last night.

When she turned to me, her face lit up with excitement, and she tried to pull me into a hug. But I held back, my body stiff with unresolved emotions. Stassie pulled away, confusion clouding her features as she questioned my demeanor.

"What are you going on about, grandpa?" She retorted, a hint of defensiveness in her tone as she resumed packing her clothes. Her casual dismissal of the situation only served to further infuriate me.

"You lied about us being sexually active, Stassie. That was not true. And besides, you and I haven't spoken in like a week," I stated firmly, my voice laced with frustration.

"And I apologized for that. You would not answer my calls, and I had to resort to calling your mom. I thought we were over that," she attempted to explain, hoping to bridge the gap that had grown between us.

"We cannot get over something passively. We have to discuss it," I asserted, my voice holding a hint of desperation. But Stassie's eye-rolling response only added to my exasperation.

"Are you still mad at me for not telling you about the change in my course?" She questioned, her tone filled with uncertainty. I couldn't help but scoff derisively at her words, the frustration bubbling within me threatening to spill over.

"I'm mad at everything. I'm mad at you for not telling me anything and..." I trailed off, my words cut off by her interruption.

"But you don't care about what I said," she interjected, her words hitting me like a blow. It was in that moment that I realized the underlying issue that had plagued us for so long. Stassie's inability to truly listen and understand me. Everything always revolved around her.

"I cared about what you said. Everything you ever confided in me, I always cared," I stated, my voice tinged with a mix of resignation and frustration. Stassie's confused expression only served to emphasize the growing divide between us.

"Cared?" She repeated, her disbelief evident in her tone. It was then that the truth slipped out, unplanned and unexpected. I had not planned to break up with her today but I might as well do because staying was hurting the both of us.

"Derek brought some floozy here and..."
Nitra's sudden intrusion disrupted our conversation.

"Just because you knew what you wanted since birth doesn't mean all of us did," Stassie's sharp words cut through the already strained atmosphere, further adding to the chaos that had engulfed us. I shrugged in response, the weight of it all bearing down on me. The realization hit me like a ton of bricks. I was exhausted, drained by the constant turmoil in our relationship. The spark that had once ignited our love seemed to have dimmed, leaving behind only the remnants of what once was.

With a heavy heart, I made the difficult decision to walk away, unable to continue down a path that only led to further heartache. And as I left without a word, the silence between us spoke volumes, hinting at the shattered remnants of a love that had once burned bright.