Chapter 24: Blindsided

Tara

I woke up to a notification on my phone. It was from Dean, and suddenly, the memories of our date came flooding back. I went out with him in a fit of anger when I thought Michal had gone back to Stassie. Shrugging it off, I didn't think it was a big deal, as I didn't really like him at all. He'll probably move on when I ignore him, I thought, and find his next escapade.

Father was in the garage, talking on the phone when I decided to go and check on Nitra

Father was in the garage, talking on the phone when I decided to go and check on Nitra. Lately he was so laid back. Considering how much he used to call Nitra a bad influence.

I walked into the Duncan house and found Nitra sitting on the couch, tears streaming down her face. Without hesitation, I rushed over and wrapped my arms around my best friend. She was usually so stylish, dressed in oversized tomboyish clothes, but today she was rather dressed down to fit her mood, she was rocking a sweater and loose grey sweatpants. Her black hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, her fringe slightly disarrayed.

"We were at the hospital earlier," Nitra began, her voice trembling. "He was still lying there. I have never seen my brother so defeated and sad. He's always witty, funny, and smug, always smiling. I'm just so terrified," she confided in me.

I held her closer, feeling the weight of her words in the air. "I'm here for you, Nitra," I whispered, gently wiping away her tears. I calmed her  down and we ordered some of her favorite comfort food. We moved into her bedroom and sat together on her bed,  watching a movie. It was sweet and adorable, but by the end, we were both in tears. Nitra turned to me and said softly,

"I missed this."

"Me too," I assured her and she gasped, wiping away more tears.

"What?" I asked.

"I have been so distracted, I forgot to ask about you," Nitra suddenly said. "When I came by your house the other day, I saw a male sweater on your bedroom floor. Which boy came over? I want every juicy detail," she prodded.

I felt cornered, knowing I couldn't tell Nitra the truth about dating her sister's boyfriend. So, I quickly conjured a lie. "Okay, Dean. He came over," I blurted out, hoping she would believe me.

Just then, Stassie, appeared at the door and gasped, having overheard everything.

"Given everything, I need the distraction," Stassie says as she joins us in the bedroom. I had no idea she was even home. I felt a jolt of panic. She looked at me and teasingly added.

"Tell us more, Dean the male whore wants to settle down?"

I feel a mix of guilt and unease, but I try to keep up the facade. "Well, you know how Dean is," I say with a forced smile. "He just needed some time to figure things out, but I think he's finally ready to settle down." I lied, through my teeth, keeping the secret about Michal and I was kind of easy but adding lying to the mix? Was not so easy. I can't shake the feeling of guilt for keeping such a big secret from my best friend and her sister.

I felt so hot and bothered – like a pig in a slaughterhouse – as Dana sauntered into the room, a smirk playing on her lips. "Yes, Tara," she taunted, "Tell us more." Her voice dripped with mockery because she knew the whole truth, after seeing us kiss at the park. When did she even arrive? I thought.

I stammered out a feeble lie, claiming that Dean had only come over for some innocent cuddling. But Dana wasn't fooled, her laughter echoing in the room. Nitra's oblivious excitement over our newly found boyfriends only compounded my guilt.

"Finally, you have Dean and I have Nick. My sister has Michal and Dana has Scott, we all have boyfriends now so you won't be left out anymore," Nitra says and Dana rolled her eyes.

"What's wrong with you?"Stassie suddenly probed at Dana, unlike Nitra she was not oblivious to the sounds she kept making. Was this the moment Dana told on me?

"Nothing, let me go to the bathroom,"As Dana excused herself to the bathroom, I followed, conjuring an excuse, my heart heavy with the weight of my betrayals.

In the confines of the bathroom, Dana chuckled sardonically. "Don't worry," she sneered, "I won't be the one to tell her about you and her boyfriend's little secret rendezvous." Her words pierced through me like a knife, and I mumbled a feeble defense, "I never meant to hurt anyone."

Dana's laughter rang in my ears, her words cutting deep. "Keep telling yourself that," she mocked, "You probably sleep like an angel, knowing what you're doing behind her back." The guilt churned in my stomach, leaving me feeling sick to my core.

Just as I was consumed by self-loathing, a text from Michal appeared on my phone.