Chapter 3

Not far from Kara's apartment, Skylar was making her way out of National City. She had made it to the outskirts of the city and didn't realise that National City was taken over by aliens. All she could think about was that she needed to get something stable before coming to the city where a certain Super intrigued her.

Just as she was about to leave, a car on the side of the road seemed to have trouble. Skylar didn't think twice and stopped to know what was the problem. Hearing the soft rumbling of a motorcycle behind her, the brunette turned and hid her daughter behind her, shielding her from the danger.

Soon, the motorcycle came to a stop and she was approached by the owner. "Something wrong with your car?" The voice was kinda muffled through the helmet but she could make out what the stranger was saying.

"Uh..yeah. It just died and I don't know why." The bruneeted answered, taking a safe distance away from the possibility of danger, especially with her child in tow.

"Relax, I don't bite." The voice chuckled and soon the helmet was off, revealing a rather young looking girl. "Names Skylar. Yours?"

The brunette didn't answer her and debated on whether or not to reveal her name to a total stranger. "Ruby." A small voice behind her announced. The girl had made it to her mothers side, revealing herself to the stranger.

Smiling, Skylar bent down to her level. "Nice to meet you. You've got a nice name, Ruby. Now, would you mind telling me your mom's name. I need it for the tow truck later." She said whispering the last part to the child making her giggle.

"It's Samantha." Looking up, the two brunette's exchanged small smiles. "Well, I'll take a look at your car and see what I can do. If it needs to go to a mechanic, we'll call a tow truck." With that, Skylar didn't hesitate to remove her jacket and fully inspect the car's condition.

"So, you from around here, Samantha?" Skylar asked, holding her phone as a flashlight. Samantha raised her eyebrow at the question. "I'm gonna be here for awhile, might as well make small talk."

Giving a light chuckle, Samantha leaned against the car, Ruby leaning against her. "We're from around here and please, call me Sam. Samantha makes me feel old. My mother owned a farm just north of here." She says, looking up at the stars while the other girl was inspecting her car.

"Seems lovely. Always wanted to live on a farm. I'm assuming you're moving to National City for a job?" With that, she stopped to make eye contact the other. "Was it that obvious?"

Chuckling, Skylar didn't expect that she was correct. "Not really but I could tell from the boxes in your backseat. Also, I think you're gonna need to call a tow truck. It seems like your battery just died." Just as Skylar was about to call, a hand shot up to stop her.

"Wait! Can't we just use another battery to jumpstart it?"

"We could but I don't see any cars coming this way and I don't think I have another spare battery just lying around." With that, Sam placed Ruby in the passenger seat, telling her to get some sleep.

"Is the tow truck expensive? We're kinda low on money." Sam said in a hushed whisper. Skylar's heart breaks at that. The world hasn't been kind to you has it? "I'll pay for you." This made Samantha's eyes widen.

"Wait, what? No, no. I can afford it-"

"You just told me you were short on money. Look, I understand your situation and all I want to do is to just make it better. That's all. So, please, let me pay for the tow truck." Skylar deadpanned. Sighing, the mother let the other pay.

"I'm still paying you back." She announced.

"Sure, if you need a babysitter in the future, you know who to call." Skylar teased, whipping out her phone and calling the tow truck.