Hunted

Simon's Point of View:

"Johnny?" I asked, seeing him and Teeter in the barn feeding the horses for the evening, Foster nestled against Johnny's side.

"Yeah, L.T.?"

"You up to go for a ride with me in a few? Kiera's still with Kristen with the kids, and I need to take care of something. Might need another set of eyes."

"Is it about... you know?"

"Yes. I don't want to tell Kiera about it yet because she's got enough to worry about right now, and I'm going to get some kind of answer. It's been a week now with no new evidence until now. You with me?"

"You know it, L.T," He nodded. "Can she come--?"

"You two go, baby. I'll be fine here," Teeter assured him with a warm smile. "It'll do me some good to have a momma's night in with the little one."

"Are you sure?"

"If I wasn't, I wouldn't have suggested it," She scoffed. "You two watch each other's backs. You got a family to come home to."

I nodded, "Yes, ma'am."

*

"So, what're you on about, L.T.?"

"Been tracking Hockley's phone all week. He's been going around all over, and it turns off when he gets within a ten-mile radius of his house,"

"Sounds like he doesn't want someone knowing he's home..."

"That's what I thought, too. I've been noticing a routine, so we're going to go directly to his house and ask him what he really knows."

"So, why'd you bring me?"

"Needed the company."

"Oh, I figured it was because you could've used my help."

I scoffed, "I nearly get killed every time I ask for your help, so I figured it's just wise to stick with the company."

"Fair point," He shrugged. "How's your lass getting along?"

"About what you could expect," I sighed. "Her grief still comes in waves, but I knew she needed some time with her best friend. I've been too suffocating around her since Eva was killed, and I feel like she needs some time with someone other than me to talk to."

"Yeah, I don't know how she's put up with you for all of these years."

"Anyway, she's getting along. Just has a lot on her shoulders right now."

"That she does. The lass always pulls through, though. If you don't figure out who killed her mum, I'm sure she will."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

*

Once we arrived at Hockley's house located roughly thirty minutes away from Cody, I couldn't help but notice how big the house was, the shadow of a small figure peering through the curtains when they realized a set of headlights beamed into their driveway. The house was off of the main road, secluded against a hillside with a double driveway, white fence lining the property, no livestock in sight, but cars just as expensive as the house.

Yeah, he wasn't a born country boy.

I had no room to say anything, though. He was from New York, and I was from Manchester, except the only difference was that I think I adapted well to the backcountry lifestyle. As for Hockley, he wanted the luxury of New York, but without the city.