The Reaper Calls, and Ghost Happily Answers

Simon's Point of View: 

Once the match was thrown, it was all hands-on deck to get inside. Men scrambled to figure out what caused the fire, and unfortunately for them, my team and I were faster. "Johnny! You and Laswell take the left!" I directed, watching Hockley shout for his wife before moving to the upper catwalk, shooting a man without hesitation before pushing himself inside. 

You've finally done something useful, mate

"You got it, L.T.!" Johnny nodded, he and Kate spreading out to flank the enemy as Finley and I continued to push forward, the pair of us taking shots as if it were another Friday. 

"Riley! I see your wife and Charlene! Tied to the banister!" Finley nodded in their direction. 

"I'm on it!" I replied, pushing forward through the growing smoke to take out another target before I dropped to my knees in front of them, taking a universal cuff key from my pocket to free them of their restraints. "I'm here, love. Hockley got the kids. You and Charlene wait outside for us." I directed, handing her a pistol of her own just in case she needed it. 

And knowing her, she was going to use it, even if I didn't want her to. 

*

Kiera directed Charlene to an emergency exit, telling her to meet her husband to protect their children before deciding to find another way out, hoping to put the pistol Simon had given her to good use. Having one target in mind, she sought out to find Langston. 

In a few short moments, her wish came true as Langston pushed a column of boxes on her, causing her to lose her balance before the old man tackled her to the ground, doing his best to disarm her. 

Unfortunately for him, she was too quick. 

With an elbow to the nose, she knocked the old man onto his back, "Don't you fucking do that!" She growled, watching him reach for his own pistol that fell from his grip. 

He paused, brows rose before ignoring her warning before attempting to make a shot at her, but a bullet between the eyes stopped him in his tracks. "Typical man, they don't listen." She mumbled to herself, shaking her head with a smirk before moving to find cover. 

"Kiera! Get out of here!" Johnny shouted, pointing towards the emergency exit. "The kids are safe! We've got the rest!" 

"You know I can't do that!" She shouted back. "Where Simon goes, I go. I can't let him fight my battles!" 

Unbeknownst to her, Simon had heard her argument from the point of cover he was in, and he didn't want her to see what he was about to do to Baler, as he was now the only one left. 

With how she loved the kid, regardless of what he had done to their family, Simon knew that watching Baler get killed by his own hands was going to tear a piece of her heart away from her. Making a mental note that Baler had moved to the opposite side of the complex, an assault rifle in hand, Simon knew he needed to be quick to get Kiera away from what was about to happen. 

With quiet steps, he gently grabbed her wrist before leading her to the emergency exit, shielding her and himself behind the cement blocks of the exit tunnel. "Listen to me, you don't want to stick around for this. Get out to our kids and wait for me. I will be there, okay?" He begged, grasping her face in his hands and forcing her to look at him, knowing that she was going to, for once, follow his orders by the look in her eyes. 

"I-I will, Simon." 

"Good. I love you." 

"I love you too." She cried, desperate to keep her lips against his for a bit longer before he pulled away to the sound of gunfire, shutting the door behind him to ensure she was safe.