Chess Over Checkers

Kiera's Point of View:

Baler's mumbled comment stayed in the back of my mind the entire time I was in Rachel's office for my nine-week check-up, his malicious tone gnawing at my stomach as if my heart was telling me that I made a deadly mistake, but I stupidly chose to ignore it as I felt Baler truly wouldn't think something like this about me.

Right?!

I mean, he acted like he didn't care about how he made me feel when we were on vacation in California, and if Simon wouldn't have confronted him, I would hate to have known what could've happened if he hadn't been there.

Baler had been distant since my mom's murder, and we willingly gave him the space he stated that he needed – wanting to keep himself busy in order to avoid thinking about the reality he was forced to live in. Simon had been trying to spend time with him, but Baler would always push him away, and Simon always told me that he granted him that space because he was the same way when he was Baler's age.

Given Baler's age, I knew that a boy his age needed plenty of time to grow, and I didn't feel like I understood him enough to really bond with him like Simon did.

He was also adamant on staying in the car while I was in the doctor's office, which I was okay with considering that I knew that I wouldn't blame him not wanting a part of my appointment.

"How've you been feeling, mama?" Rachel sighed at me, removing her gloves and throwing them into the bin. "With everything going on, I feel like nobody has asked you how you've been feeling."

"I still can't wrap my head around it, but I'm having no choice but to take it one day at a time."

"I understand. If you ever need to talk to someone about it, my door is always open."

"I know. Thank you."

"You're very welcome, girl. Side note, I've got some good news for you! Everything checked out fine, and you're cleared to do some special activities, but please be careful. Anything rough could make you uncomfortable for a while, and you definitely don't want that," She arched her brows at me. "And keep doing those pelvic floor exercises! They have definitely been helping."

"That's the best news I've heard all day," I sighed, being abstinent from my own husband for more than eight weeks has definitely taken its toll on me, especially when I watch him around the house and working. I'm unfortunately a slut for a man in uniform, and as much as I knew I shouldn't be getting pregnant again, Simon made it awful tempting knowing how well he takes care of me sexually.

Today, 11:43 AM

It also didn't take long for Simon to respond to my message, and it made me giddy with excitement

Today, 12:01 PM