twenty-six.

he was woken up to the door barging open.

shooting upwards, he rubbed his eyes and he was met with a girl standing there.

his girl.

it has been a few days since he has been admitted to the hospital and he still hasn't told el.

of course he wondered how she found out but he began to smile just by the sight of her.

she scanned him up and down before she pushed the door shut, making the bang echo in the room.

she then walked to the nightstand without a word, pouring a glass of water before putting it on his table.

he looked up before she finally spoke. "how long," she simple spoke and he knew what she meant.

"it's the fourth day,"

she stayed unmoving before she looked at the glass of water. "drink,"

he reached for it, took a sip and then asked. "how did you find out?"

she walked to the window and opened the curtains, standing there with her back to him. "i overheard your friends talk about it. i'm happy i found out before i went to surprise you at your house,"

he paused, his mouth agape before he swallowed and murmured. "i'm sorry that i didn't tell you,"

"i..." she let out quietly, her breath short. "i just want to know why," she finally turned around. "you— you never tell me anything as if you don't trust me. i'm not pushing you to tell me things, mike, if you don't want to. the problem is that i know you aren't uncomfortable about it, you just don't want to tell me."

"no, el—"

"no, mike. you're going to listen to me." she took a step forward. "you never tell me anything. you hide everything. i'm not pushing you to tell me how you fucking feel if you don't want to but i know damn well that's not the reason why. i tell you how i feel because i trust you enough and i know you understand me. the thing is, i understand you too and you're not a burden if you tell me shit and i have told you that repeatedly. that's why, it's starting to feel like you don't trust me. don't you get that? you almost died and you still lied to me about it."

just as he was about to respond, she put a hand up. "no, you're not protecting me, you're not— you're not doing whatever you think you're doing but making me feel horrible. as if i'm not enough for you to trust me."

"that's not it, el—"

"then was it?"

"i do trust you—"

"do you?" she shot back, "do you trust me though?"

"i do!"

"THEN TELL ME WHY!" she screamed at him. "how you can still lie to me about what happened when you almost died. i don't feel important, mike, and you don't understand that,"

his face dropped and his heart broke. "you are the most important thing to me in the whole entire world."

"but i don't feel that," she said quietly before her head shook and she headed for the door. 

she suddenly paused, facing the door with her back to him.

he thought she would stay, he thought her mind would change.

however, her next words shocked him.

"i'm starting chemo this week." she breathed out, her hands shaking as she looked down to her fingers. "if you wanted to know that," she said finally before she opened the door and shut it behind her.