Chapter 34 - Ragnarok

"Hurts, doesn't it?" Loki asks, illusioning himself and Dahlia in front of Thor. "Being lied to. Being told you're one thing and then learning it's all a fiction." Thor picks up a rock and throws it. The rock passes harmlessly through the illusion of Loki, who sighs. "You didn't think I'd really come and see you, did you? This place is disgusting, I'm not bringing my wife down here."

"Thor, stop throwing rocks at your brother." Dahlia scolds, hearing more rocks bouncing off the wall.

"Does this mean you don't want my help?" He asks. "Look, I couldn't jeopardize my position with the Grandmaster. It took me time to win his trust. He's a lunatic, but he can be amenable." 

"Oh, please, he just wanted entertainment, not an actual friendship. He'll get rid of us as soon as he finds someone with better stories." She scoffs. "Pretending to enjoy his company is exhausting."

"What I'm telling you is, you could join us at the Grandmaster's side. Perhaps, in time, an accident befalls the Grandmaster, and then..." He trails off, gesturing between them and miming them leaving. "You're not seriously thinking of going back, are you? Our sister destroyed your hammer like a piece of glass. She's stronger than both of us. She's stronger than the three of us. She's stronger than you. You don't stand a chance. Do you understand what I'm saying to you?" He asks. Dahlia rolls her eyes, knowing he'll join them when they return to Asgard. "Fine. I guess I'll just have to go it alone. Like I've always done." Dahlia rolls her eyes and elbows him. He pats her arm in a silent apology, keeping his attention on his brother. "Would you say something? Say something!"

"What would you like me to say?" Thor asks. "You faked your own death, you stole the throne, stripped Odin of his power, stranded him on Earth to die, releasing the Goddess of Death. Have I said enough, or would you like me to go back further than the past two days?" 

"It's not like Odin didn't deserve it." Dahlia mutters under her breath.

"You know, I haven't seen this beloved champion he talks of, but I've heard he is astonishingly savage. I've placed a large wager against you tomorrow. Don't let me down." Loki tells him before disappearing. The bottle Thor threw at him shatters against the wall, making Dahlia jump.

"You're not the only one hurting, Thor." She tells him before disappearing too. She appears back in her and Loki's room, finding him sitting on their bed. "Are you all right?" She asks, sitting next to him.

"I'm fine." He answers, taking her hand in his. 

"All right. If you want to talk, I'm here." She says, moving her other hand to cup his face. 

"I know." Loki assures her before kissing her. She waves her hand, magically changing them into pajamas and turning the lights off. They lay down, and he rests his head on her chest, wrapping his arm around her. She smiles, knowing he's much more relaxed tonight after talking with Thor and seeing that his brother is alive and well. 

"I love you." She tells him, running her fingers through his hair.

"Not as much as I love you." He replies, chuckling as she lightly tugs on his hair.

"Don't start with that. It's not a competition." Dahlia scolds, going back to running her fingers through his hair. "Besides, if it were a competition, I would win."

"Of course you would, my love." He says, scooting up in the bed so they're face to face. "I think we can compromise and say that you love me just as much as I love you."

"Fine." She sighs, making him laugh. She smiles at the sound, cupping his face in her hands. "I missed that. It's my favorite sound."

"Truly?" Loki asks, covering her hand with his own. 

"Everything about you is my favorite. To me, you are perfect." She answers, kissing his forehead where she knows his Frost Giant markings are hidden. He stares at her for a long moment, trying to come up with the words to describe how he feels.

"I love you more than words can describe." He finally says, unable to find the words.

"I know." She assures, brushing the hair from his face. "It's all right. You can rest, Thor and I are both safe."

Loki pulls her to his chest, holding her tight. He kisses the top of her head as she rubs his back. He closes his eyes, knowing he'll finally be able to get a full night of sleep.

***

Loki leads Dahlia into the room, rushing forward as they hear the Grandmaster incorrectly introducing Thor as the Lord of Thunder. The audience boos and Dahlia chuckles, knowing they won't be booing when they see him fight. The crowd cheers and Dahlia gasps as the Grandmaster introduces his champion, the Incredible Hulk.1

"Yes!" Thor cheers.

"We have to get off this planet." Loki says, quickly pulling Dahlia towards the exit. 

"Hey, hey, hey. Where are you two going?" The Grandmaster says, ushering them further back into the room. They take a seat on the opposite end of the couch, Loki putting Dahlia on the end to keep her further from the Grandmaster. He grabs her hand, nervously playing with her fingers.

"Hey! We know each other. He's a friend from work." Thor shouts. Loki clears his throat as the Grandmaster looks at him, keeping his attention on the arena below. "Loki! Look who it is!" He exclaims. "Dahlia, it's your friend!" 

"I can't believe Hulk ended up here." She whispers.

"I can't either." Loki replies. He watches, quickly beginning to describe the fight to Dahlia. "Yes! That's how it feels!" He cheers after Hulk smashes Thor on the ground like he had done to Loki in New York. "I'm just a huge fan of the sport." He tells the Grandmaster as he sits back down next to Dahlia.

"Real subtle, my love." She teases as he wraps his arm around her. He chuckles and goes back to describing the fight as Thor gets the upper hand. As he's about to win the fight, he drops to the ground after the Grandmaster shocks him with the device in his neck.