Chapter 46 - Endgame

"What're you thinking, Dahlia?" Tony asks once they've finished lunch. They'd explained the conversation to Pepper after the kids had run off to play so she would know what they're talking about.

"You know what I think, Tony." She sighs, running her fingers over a hole in her jeans, using her magic to repair it. 

"Is that why you stayed back to talk? So you could go behind my back?" He asks, failing to hide his annoyance. Dahlia scoffs, rolling her eyes.

"Quit being so dramatic. There are no sides, you idiot. I think you're both right. I won't risk my son, but I think it's stupid to not even consider looking for a way to bring everyone back." She replies. Tony opens his mouth to speak, but Pepper reaches over and covers his mouth.

"I think everyone's entitled to their opinions." She says, giving Tony a stern look as she removes her hand.

"Fine." He agrees. Dahlia sighs.

"You do see where I'm coming from, yes?" She asks. 

"Of course we do." Pepper assures her.

"Obviously you do, Pepper, you're smart. I'm talking about this moron." She replies, attempting to point at Tony across from her. He scoffs and rolls his eyes. He starts to respond but stops to think as Pepper glares at him.

"Yes." Tony sighs. 

"Freddie is the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I will not lose him." She tells him. She sighs and drops her head into her hands, thinking of how Freddie has never known his father and that Loki never even knew that she was pregnant. The front door opens and footsteps join them in the kitchen.

"What's going on here?" Pietro asks, leaning against the doorway. Little footsteps run towards him as Morgan and Freddie clutch onto his legs.

"Pete!" Morgan yells, making him roll his eyes. He ruffles her hair, knowing she doesn't call her that to annoy her, she just doesn't pronounce his name right.

"Daddy!" Freddie calls, grabbing Pietro's face as he lifts him into his arms. The adults freeze, not sure if they heard him right. "Daddy, come play!" He points towards the living room where he and Morgan had been playing in. Dahlia bursts into tears, burying her face in her hands.

Pietro sets Freddie down as he squirms and he runs to his mom, climbing into her lap. She quickly wipes her tears and forces herself to stop crying. Pepper grabs Morgan and leaves the room, Tony following a moment later.

"Mama, don't be sad! Daddy home!" He exclaims, pushing her hair from her face like she does for him when he's upset. She leans her head against the back of the chair, forcing herself not to start crying again.

"No, Kiddo. I'm Uncle Piet." Pietro corrects, sitting next to them.

"Where is Daddy?" He asks, frowning. Dahlia sighs.

"He's not with us anymore." She answers. 

"Why?" He asks.

"He wanted to be, Kiddo." Pietro says.

"He wanted to be with you more than anything in the world." Tony tells him as he enters the room, holding something behind his back. He takes the other seat next to them, pulling out a small bust he made of Loki. "I was waiting for your birthday, but I made this for you two."

He guides Dahlia's hand over it, and she gasps when she realizes what it is. She laughs as she begins crying again. Freddie presses his hands to her cheeks, clumsily wiping her tears.

"Don't be sad!" He scolds, making her laugh.

"No, I'm happy, Little Prince." She says, tickling his belly. He giggles and she smiles.

"Here, Freddie. Hold your hands out." Tony tells him, guiding the bust into his hands.

"This is Daddy?" He asks, running his fingers over Loki's face.

"Yeah." Dahlia says, stroking his hair.

"You look just like him." Pietro says. 

"Hopefully with none of the evil." Tony jokes.

"Tony!" Dahlia scolds, glaring at him.

"I was just kidding!" He defends. She laughs, shaking her head.

Eventually, Freddie falls asleep in his mother's lap and she and Pietro take him home. Tony watches them until they disappear, and Pepper wraps her arm around him.

"She'll be okay. She's got her family with her." She assures him.

***

Dahlia sighs as she sets Freddie down inside the house. Thor barks and nudges his arm, asking to play. The boy giggles and runs into the living room to grab one of his toys. 

"Everything's gonna be okay." Pietro tells her as he pulls her into a hug. She shakes her head as she tries not to cry.

"I miss him." She whispers, pulling away to grab the bust Tony had made. She traces her fingers over it and sits at the table. She reaches out and finds Pietro's hand as he joins her. "I'm sure Tony can make one for you."

"No, I'm okay. I have pictures." He replies. He pulls away and starts picking at the table.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"I'm okay." Pietro lies. She sighs but leaves it, knowing pressing him will only upset him. 

"All right. I'm here if you decide you want to talk." She says as she stands. She rests her hands on his shoulders and kisses the top of his head before joining her son in the living room.

"Mama!" Freddie squeals, abandoning the dog to run towards her. His foot catches on the rug, and he tumbles to the floor, knocking into the coffee table in the fall. He begins to cry, and Thor licks his cheek, trying to comfort him. Dahlia quickly rushes to Freddie and lifts him into her arms, using her magic to check him for injuries. Pietro rushes into the room as he begins to calm, knowing Dahlia will quickly help him feel better.

"You're okay. I've got you." She soothes, rubbing his cheek under the cut he got from the table. She uses her magic to heal it, and he stops crying completely. Freddie rests his head on her chest, the sound of her heartbeat instantly calming him, as it had since he was a baby. Dahlia rubs his back as she moves to the couch, settling her son on her lap. 

"I want a story." He tells her, playing with her hair. 

"Okay. There was once a pegasus named-" She begins.

"No, Mama! I want a story about Daddy!" He protests. She kisses the top of his head before she tells him the story of how she, Loki, and Thor played hide and seek so well that Frigga sent the guards to search all of Asgard for them. 

Pietro smiles as he watches them, adding the video he'd taken to the album he'd been making since Freddie was born. He'd been recording as many of Freddie's milestones and any little moments he could so he could show Loki. He'd always hoped that they would find a way to bring everyone back, and Pepper's explanation of today's conversation had made him confident they'd be able to do it.

Sorry for the late update! Apparently, I was really tired because I've basically slept all day for the last couple days lol