Chapter 4: I Like Surprises

[Brian]

I managed to dismiss my math class fifteen minutes ahead of schedule as the students completed their seat work well before the allotted time elapsed. It's one of the most gratifying aspects of teaching-- seeing when students grasp the lessons promptly. Although I can't be certain whether they rushed to finish early just to get out of class. But I always strive to ensure each student catches up, even if it means slowing down for only one student who may not fully comprehend the material.

"Bye, Mr. May!" the last students to finish waved goodbye.

"Take care, all of you!" I quickly erased everything off the chalkboard and grabbed all of the papers to be kept in my bag. "Fuck, I should've brought with me a bigger bag," I whispered to myself.

If someone were to inquire about the aspect I find most challenging about being a teacher, it would undoubtedly be the daunting task of grading numerous student papers. My bag can't even contain them anymore. Frankly, if given the option, I'd lighten the workload for my students. However, I'm simply adhering to Mrs. Lewis' directives.

I stopped by the teachers' lounge to fetch some more of my things and went downstairs. As usual, I always pass by the school clinic as it is in the same direction as my path to the main gate. I decided to stop by.

"Oh, Mr. May! You're here again! How can I help you?" Nurse Joanne greeted me while I scanned the clinic lobby.

"Uhm... uh- headache."

"It still hasn't gotten any better?" She got up to open up the medicine cabinet.

"Where's Nurse Simone?" She stopped to look at me.

"Her shift ended at 1:30. Why?"

"Oh..." I tucked my lips in. "Uhm... I actually feel okay now, Nurse Joanne." I started walking backwards slowly.

"What? Are you sure?" The doorknob met the grasp of my palm right away as I turned it.

"Yup! Thanks!"

I hurried home to tackle my tasks at Roger's. Autumn is in full swing, and I couldn't help but revel in its beauty. The rich hues of the season enveloped my surroundings, filling me with a comforting warmth.

Jack came sprinting over as I unlocked the garden gate to the Taylors' place. He's a real joy and adds to the many reasons I love being here. Roger loves to jest about my nerdy tendencies, but I couldn't find it in me to get upset with him. After all, he's merely speaking the truth, and I won't deny it. I'm quite keen, particularly about physics, maths, and music. But it's not just intellectual pursuits that light my fire; animals also hold a special charm in Brian Harold May's tiny, little world.

"Oh, you want me to throw this ball for you?" I gently took the ball he was carrying inside his mouth. The dog's tail wagged harder so I threw it far away for him to fetch. While he caught up with me, I began walking back into the house.

"Oi!" I heard Roger's familiar voice from far behind.

"Oh! Where'd you go?"

"Mum's asked me to get some flowers for the vase she found thrifting." He lifted the bouquet of purple and yellow chrysanthemums. "I don't know if I got the right ones, though," he took a sniff of the flowers. "I just think they're pretty. But also pretty expensive."

"They look quite nice!" I observed Jack bounding towards Roger, who was carefully avoiding damaging the flowers. I quickly took the bouquet from Roger, allowing Jack to express his excitement freely. We then proceeded to go inside without delay.

After dinner, I began checking more than a hundred papers. Fortunately, I was able to finish them all in one sitting. Roger wasn't much of a help with all the drumming at 8PM, though. But from checking the papers, I've discovered that the children did in fact learn adequately from me.