Chapter 15: What? Pt. 2

[Try playing the song on the part where it's mentioned!]

***

[Simone]

Brian retrieved his recorder from his satchel. "You're having a laugh," he quipped when I suggested that I recalled him recording his drunken blues.

"Do you always carry that with you? And no, I'm not joking. I distinctly remember clicking that night. Try it."

"One never knows when inspiration strikes, Simone." He pressed play on the recorder, a cassette tape nestled within. "Exhibit A..."

We waited for a moment of silence before the music started. Roger took the wheel, preparing to navigate the five-hour journey ahead. Deacy and Freddie occupied the middle seats with Ave and Stella; Brian and I settled further back, just in front of the luggage.

Doo doo doo doom

As the recorder played, laughter erupted throughout the bus. Brian's cheeks flushed red, his face a portrait of embarrassment. The four up front twisted in their seats to observe Bri's reaction to his own musical creation, while Roger took small glances at the rear-view mirror from time to time.

"I can't handle this," Brian laughed, stopping the recorder.

"Don't be so fucking ridiculous, darling. We've barely heard a snippet," Freddie remarked, deftly snagging the recorder out of Brian's reach.

Brian cast me a rueful glance as he struggled to retrieve the recorder from Freddie's grasp. "We really shouldn't have continued discussing it here," he murmured to me.

"If only you'd believed me earlier, we wouldn't be in this situation," I replied with a chuckle.

"DOO DOO DOO, HARMONICA SOLO!" Freddie bellowed with laughter, adding to the chaos in the middle and front seats.

"It seems Bri turns into John Lennon when he's had a few too many," Deacy quipped.

"Don't act like you're the epitome of sobriety, Deacy," Stella chimed in.

"We have to release that song someday, Brian. It'd be a smash hit!" Roger suggested.

"Alright, alright. You've had your fun with it. Hand it over," Brian insisted, finally wresting the recorder back from Freddie, who relented after succumbing to a fit of laughter. 

"I'm sorry, Bri," I teased, a smirk playing on my lips.

"Very funny, Simone," he shook his head, a smile breaking through.

As the laughter faded, a comfortable silence settled over us, and I found myself gazing out the window, watching the passing trees. It had been a while since I'd been on a trip of this length, aside from the picnic day. I needed this break. It was quite lucky for me and Brian to be working in a school. That meant we were also affected by the autumn break unlike most jobs.

"Nature's colours are beautiful in autumn, aren't they?" Brian whispered, leaning in slightly. I simply nodded, a soft smile tugging at my lips.

Roger broke the silence by turning on the radio, filling the air with static as he searched for a station playing music. Meanwhile, Brian was also captivated by the scenery outside his window, fully immersed in the view. Ave rested her head against Freddie's shoulder, while Stella and Deacy pointed out things they saw through the window. Eventually, Roger found a station playing Elton John's "It's Me That You Need".

As the music played, I found myself lost in the passing scenery outside the window. The gentle sway of trees, the vibrant colors of wildflowers, and the occasional glimpse of small animals all contributed to the beauty of the journey. It was a serene moment, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of peace wash over me as I took it all in.