Chapter 42: The Promenade Pt. 2

[tw: sexual content]

***

[Kate]

It took me a considerable amount of time to finalize my preparations for prom. I resented the fact that I had to settle for a dress I didn't truly love, simply because the other girls had already found theirs. Nothing I tried on felt quite right, leaving me feeling pressured, disheartened and frustrated.

But you know what? To hell with it. After a few drinks, I'd likely forget my misgivings and find my confidence.

Roger arrived to pick me up, his eyes lighting up with genuine delight when he saw me. Despite his evident admiration, my doubts lingered. Compliments, no matter how sincere, couldn't make up for my own lack of confidence.

"Why the long face, my love?" he asked gently, concern lacing his voice.

I shook my head, unwilling to delve into an explanation that would probably end with me being misunderstood or dismissed as overdramatic.

Yet, Roger, ever the gentleman, continued to shower me with compliments on our way to the house. I returned the favor, unable to deny his charm. He looked effortlessly handsome in his suit, his hair charmingly disheveled. The fact that his suit matched the color of my dress was a small detail, but it made my heart flutter nonetheless.

I let my fingers drift over his knee as he drove, watching with satisfaction as a blush crept up his cheeks.

"Should we sneak one before we get there?" I asked, biting my lip suggestively.

"My darling, you know I want to," he said, glancing at me before returning his focus to the road. "But I wouldn't want to ruin the hard work you put into looking this stunning. The world deserves to see you, too."

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. "If you say so. What's become of you, Roger Taylor?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, genuinely curious.

"You know... where did the playboy go?"

He smiled, a soft, sincere expression that made my heart skip a beat. "I'm just a lad who's in love."

Upon arrival at their house, we first encountered Simone and Brian, who were engrossed in an intimate conversation by the doorstep. It was irritating, really. I hated to admit it, but Simone looked stunning in her frock, which only made me feel worse about mine. Watching them be so affectionate was excruciating.

"And here I thought we were the ones arriving fashionably late to the party," Roger drawled, his arm draped affectionately over my shoulders. "But I see you two were... otherwise engaged."

"As if you'd want it any other way, mate," Brian replied, lowering his head to place a tender kiss on Simone's temple. "Fashionably late and making an entrance," he whispered in her ear. "Just how I like it."

Ugh.

"That dress looks stunning on you, darling," Roger commented, gesturing towards Simone's dress. "Am I right?" he asked me.

I simply raised my brows, attempting to brush off the sting of seeing even my boyfriend compliment her appearance. Yet she seemed to conveniently ignore my presence with a smile towards Rog, pretending not to see me.

But any lingering negativity dissipated when Brian's gaze met mine, his smile erasing any doubt. "Doesn't she look great in that dress too?" he complimented, his eyes shining with sincerity.

"I know!" Simone chimed in enthusiastically.

"Well, obviously," Roger replied with an affected air of nonchalance, though the playful smirk tugging at his lips belied his arrogant facade.