Chapter 19: Are you?

[Simone]

"A costume party?" Freddie exclaimed.

"Yeah, mate from physics invited us. He's doing his PhD now, and they're throwing a party three nights from now," Brian replied, closing the door to the auditorium. "Just bumped into him on my way back," he grinned excitedly. They were given a place to rehearse here since Rog was told he needed not to bring his drum kit anymore. But the event itself will happen on the university grounds.

"What should I go as?" Roger wondered, seated behind the drum kit.

"Here you go, love," Brian said, handing me a bottle of water. He's oddly extremely reliable. I barely whispered that I was thirsty to Stella and Ave, and he came sprinting outside.

"Thanks," I smiled at him.

"Are we all set?" Freddie walked over to the stage.

Brian strode towards the stage to retrieve his guitar, and the entire band finally started rehearsing. Thankfully, their familiarity with performing at Imperial meant they faced no immediate concerns. John, however, repeatedly expressed his nerves. Freddie, in his typical fashion, was just being himself. I rarely ever see him get anxious about anything.

Their setlist comprised both covers and original compositions, as discussed. They'd been fighting about finalizing the setlist for days before finally deciding on the songs. Freddie can be a bit of a perfectionist, to be honest. It's just one of the similarities we have. I think that's also the reason they've always liked having me there every rehearsals since they formed. Well... apart from Brian probably having a crush on me at that time.

Rog began the count in with his hi-hat. "One, two, three, four, one, two, three, four!"

This was Freddie's song, 'Stone Cold Crazy', that they will be performing for the first time tomorrow. I remember him writing the lyrics last year but today was the first time I was hearing it.

The three of us were nestled amidst a sea of audience seats, with Stella positioned in the middle, diligently carrying out our duties like good band managers on our first day at work. Cheryl didn't come with us. I think she left Roger's place after Bri and I departed for the museum.

"So, what happened today?" Stella's lips curved into a mischievous grin.

"No, what happened to you last night?" I returned the question.

"Yeah, Stella. Stop being a bitch for a while and share something," Ave interjected. "But you haven't exactly been generous with the details either, Simone. But spill it, Stella."

"Alright, alright," Stella relented with a playful eye roll. "Let's just say Deacy's a bit more complex than he seems."

"Ooh, intriguing. Tell us more," Ave chimed in eagerly.

"I'm afraid I don't kiss and tell," Stella replied coyly.

"Well at least tell us if your trip here was worth it!" Ave prodded, giving Stella a friendly slap on the shoulder.

"Would I be sitting here with you two if it wasn't? And I'd fucking do it all over again," Stella replied, making Ave and me scream, hitting each other playfully. Stella buried her face in her hands, overcome by our antics.

"Oh. My. God, Stella," I chuckled, feeling the strain in my cheeks from smiling too much. "She's getting more hot dicking than me!" I pointed at Stella with my thumb, while facing Ave.

"You're saying you didn't get any last night?" Stella gasped in mock disbelief.

"What else did you expect from Brian?" Ave retorted.