Chapter 18: Everett

[Brian]

"I like you," she said, the words breathing life into me. I hadn't expected much when I bared my soul to Simone. But it would be pretentious to say her response didn't matter to me.

I rose to my feet, needing to feel her warmth in my hands. "So, I've been here crying and pouring my heart out, and all this time, you've liked me back?" I teased, my heart swelling at her admission.

"Do you want me to take it back?" she joked, her eyes now sparkling with warmth, a huge contrast to the sadness from moments before.

"No, no," I murmured, leaning in to plant a gentle kiss on her forehead. "But hold on, I've got a little something for you."

"What is it?" she asked, settling on the edge of my bed as I retrieved my wallet from the bedside drawer.

Sitting beside her, I nervously presented the wallet. "Let me know if you don't like it." I carefully extracted two small, orange-coloured tickets and handed them to her. "Ta-da!"

She took them, inspecting them closely. "BRIAN!" she exclaimed dramatically, jumping to her feet and shaking her hands in excitement. Pausing, she placed her hands on my shoulders. "You're taking me to the Tate?!"

I laughed at her adorable reaction. "Yes, love. Now, get ready. We'll squeeze in a visit before rehearsals this afternoon," I said with a chuckle as I watched her freeze, mouth hanging open in astonishment.

"I'm going to cry, Brian," she said, her expression shifting to a frown.

"Do you want me to take it back?" I teased, using her own words against her.

"No!" she exclaimed, hiding the tickets behind her. "Can I take some time to process this for a while? So many things happened in the span of ten minutes, Bri," she chuckled.

"Alright, love. Come here," I patted the bed, signaling her to sit beside me. She rested her head on my shoulder.

"I'm just so happy, Bri."

"I am too, Simone."

"Is today real?"

"I should be the one asking that," I chuckled. "I hope it is."

"Me too," she sighed. "Alright!" she immediately stood up and darted to grab her towel. "I'll take a shower now."

***

We both finally finished getting ready. Well.. almost.

I watched as she completed the final step of her routine: applying her makeup. Such a beautiful girl. She looked absolutely stunning in a white shirt paired with a black suede skirt, accentuated by a slender red scarf delicately draped around her neck. With the upper half of her hair elegantly tied back and the lower half cascading in loose curls, she adorned the back with a vibrant red ribbon. I've always believed that boots are her favourite choice of footwear. Wow. Her style has always captivated me.

As for myself, I opted for black trousers and a white shirt to complement hers, leaving the top half of my shirt unbuttoned. I layered a black blazer over it and adorned my neck with two carefully selected necklaces.

"Are we all set to head out?" I asked, taking in her impeccable ensemble. She nodded, grabbing her petite bag, its contents a mystery to me. Can it even fit anything? Women's fashion is sometimes confusing.

I grabbed my camera and wallet before I locked my door as she patiently waited. I then created a gap between my arm and torso, silently inviting her to interlock her arm with mine as we strolled. Descending the stairs, we made our way to Rog and Freddie's flat to let them know about my pre-rehearsal plans.